My First proper Job - and quetions

ATC1983

I got a proper job once. I held it down pretty good but soon discovered that to stay loose and mess around with this and that, you know, imaginative projects, adventures, escapades and affairs then a proper job is the last thing you really want.

Also if you never ever borrow any money, that will ensure that no one ever has ownership of you which allows you to continue with your messing around with interesting projects.

Pretty soon you'll find that you've been notice by people who need those kind of interesting skills you've developed during all that messing around. You'll find you're getting payed quite a lot for messing around doing interesting stuff that you're starting to really be good at. Then you'll notice that you're living pretty well and you love what you do.

A lot of people work for like 90% of their lives so , if you don't like your work then you don't like your life.

Don't let proper jobs get in the way. that's my advice.

Wise words :thumbup1:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this I going to be a regular grass cut job then roundup will sort it out every time you cut, was it agreed for you to reseed and weed lawn when you quoted? This is an extra in my eyes so gets charged as an extra along with grass cut.

The weeds/moss in patio will be taken out with the roundup each grass cut. Soon not much will grow.

Pressure washers are good for clearing cracks in patios and taking out weeds, so long as they are re sanded after.

Sounds as though you are charging way too little for your work. If you are starting up as a one man business you need an urgent rethink on pricing, otherwise you'll get a hell of a lot of work, but make nothing! People pay if the work is good, honest and tidy. You have already covered that very important part, so don't dig yourself into a hole by charging coppers!

Another tip, if you aren't trained in the use of poison, don't use it! It can lead to a world of trouble!

Always read and follow the label instructions when applying any chemicals Period.

Never assume or read into anything other than the label instructions for applying anything. You may very well be charging to little for services rendered, only time and a more experience will work that out. You have both ATM. The comments and suggestions made are to help you along the way. Use common sense when your not sure and don't be shy about asking questions, it is part of the learning process.

easy-lift guy

Ok points taken on board - but I have to stress as well this is something I wanted to take up part time with a view to perhaps going full time later on down the line. I am already working a full time job - boring office work - and would like to get out by at least 35. I am 28 - and between now and 35 I hope to buy maybe 5 or 6 properties as BTLs as a pension plan with my savings over the next few years, then have a decent enough customer base to know I could make between 10-15K every year doing landscaping and gardening jobs. This is my ambition, and I find it enjoyable, and that it saves on gym membership. Hopefully things will work out - did a little leafleting today, but still no more calls sadly. Was talking to a friend last night who paid his usual gardener £30 for maybe 30 minutes work - just to do a front and back lawn on a small semi - he didn't even touch the hedges! I know I can beat the likes of those guys at their own game as their work is crap for what they charge but it's all down to balance now between costs and getting work, so will see how it goes.

The charges for cutting are not really set on time. It's how long it takes to cut or how big, have to remember overheads aswell. Going to the job costs money, lawn mowers, strimmers, hedge cutters all use fuel, if a job is further away from other jobs then it will cost more as you can't include it as a round type job as you are travelling further to do it.

Insurance costs money, vehicle, liability etc.

In some cases it's cheaper for homeowners to cut the lawn themselves but that takes time.