Have you ever had a chimmney fire

We keep a dry powder 9kg fire extinguisher at the top of the stairs

If we got a chimney fire the nozzle would fit nicely in the side openings of the stove without opening the door (making things worse)

Also thought it would be a good defence against intruders- who could attack you with a faceful of powder

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pour water on a open fire , the steam rises and puts fire out .

Water in a hot metal stove or fire grate!Not the best of ideas ,never mind the instantaneous steam burns to arms and face,let alone the damage ,i would avoid that like the plague

A liner with no vermiculite mitigates the problem. No liner and you'll need it swept at least once a year. If you get a chimney fire, unload the grate (carefully into a metal container and remove this to out side), then put cupfuls of water at a time onto the grate. Keeps enough heat to convert it to steam. Shut the vents to prevent/limit air-flow.

swept mine to-day from the top there seems to be quite a build up of tar on it now wood burning stove been in about 15 years now only burn wood that has been seasoned for at least 2 years it has a liner but dont think anything was put round it at the time anyway does any one know of a "bomb" typy thing that i could put on a rope and rattle up and down from the top as the brush just compresses when you put it down, wold not want it to get stuck tho

swept mine to-day from the top there seems to be quite a build up of tar on it now wood burning stove been in about 15 years now only burn wood that has been seasoned for at least 2 years it has a liner but dont think anything was put round it at the time anyway does any one know of a "bomb" typy thing that i could put on a rope and rattle up and down from the top as the brush just compresses when you put it down, wold not want it to get stuck tho

a length of rope a clump of chicken wire and an old sash window weight :thumbup1:

My chimney is a big wide stone one, the problem being the bottom of the chimney get hot whilst the top doesn't, so the vapour containing the tarry residue condenses on the upper portion of the flue

Lining such a chimney, even without vermiculite, is better than no liner at all.

Sweeping a large chimney like mine does nothing more than drop all the crap onto the top of the register plate and all you get is a little brush waving about in a large cavity doing nothing.

The tarry residue at the top is quite thick and a brush wouldn't touch it, more like it would have to be chiseled off.

Putting in a liner would make the chimney a breeze to sweep, because your only sweeping a tube and not a huge cavern.

I,m going to vermiculite mine anyway, but in the case of big old stone chimney breasts, any liner is better than no liner

My mate had a chimney fire last year, one of his neighbours rang 999 and the fire brigade turned up and wanted to fill his log burner with cold water :thumbdown:.

After it was all sorted out the main fireman gave him a lecture about how much time and money was lost because people didnt have their chimneys swept on a regular basis

The funny part was the fireman standing next to him was the bloke that swept it 2 weeks previous :001_rolleyes:

My mate had a chimney fire last year, one of his neighbours rang 999 and the fire brigade turned up and wanted to fill his log burner with cold water :thumbdown:.

After it was all sorted out the main fireman gave him a lecture about how much time and money was lost because people didnt have their chimneys swept on a regular basis

The funny part was the fireman standing next to him was the bloke that swept it 2 weeks previous :001_rolleyes:

HI JAMMY i like that one mate :lol:i no a farmer mate he had fires all the time jon :thumbup: