Have you ever had a chimmney fire

just a thought for today i got up this morning feeling i,am having a good day etc "" so far i live in hope trying to stay positive etc

anyway i fitted my fire well over a year ago and opend the access hole in my register blanking plate whatever you call it thesedays and stuck my camera up took some picc,s to check the ash/soot build up in there and was very supprised to find hardly anything there

so stuck the hoover in there quick suck suck etc all done nice n clean now again i was just very supprised how little ash there was etc

i was always worried about chimmney fires etc with all the internet reading available but now my minds at rest etc well for me anyway how often should i clean it out please ?? as i would be greatful for any advice thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the tarry residue that will burn builds up higher up the chimney, your better looking from the top down to get a better idea.

I'm thinking of fitting a liner this year as mine has built up quite a bit and I only burn well seasoned stuff

you supprise me bye fitting a liner i would think your going backwards making it worse but known to be wrong etc lol

i think theres nothing better than a brick chimney liners are for toff,s n gas fires :001_tt2:

you supprise me bye fitting a liner i would think your going backwards making it worse but known to be wrong etc lol

i think theres nothing better than a brick chimney liners are for toff,s n gas fires :001_tt2:

You were lucky enough to have a decent brick chimney, when i put our wood burner in four or five years ago now, I had to line the chinmey as it was pourous in a couple of places, so without taking down the whole stack through the middle of the house, I had no choice.

So I think your theory sucks!:001_tt2:

Burned unseasoned hardwood for years without mishap, then lit fire with some well seasoned scotspine (found some undercover behind my shed) within two minutes I could hear it roaring, then the back door slammed and I could feel all the air being sucked out of the house up the chimney. Wandered across the road to have a look at the chimney, and there contrasting nicely against the night sky was 8ft of blue flame rocketing out of the pot with lots of pretty sparks. I got a metal bucket and loaded the burning logs in, took them out to the patio. Within a few mins all the flames were out, got the chimney swept and it's been fine ever since.

I have an open fire and only burn seasoned wood . Ash ,syc, holm oak, hawthorn and dead elm mostly . Sweep the chimney once a year . Last year I had a chimney fire . Could not reason why . fire brigade came and sent a sprinkler up and put it out . One chap got in the loft with an infra red camera and identified a hot spot in the top dog leg . He said it will be soot and tar caught in the corner . Any way after they had gone I swept the chimney again only to collect a handful of soot . Months later my wife told me the kids had admited to throwing thier Mac donnalds cartons on the fire including the plastic wrappings from a crappy free toy the got ! I recon the moulten plastic stuck in he dog leg and burned there . Bloody kids ! ( I love em really )

Lining my chimney and insulating the liner with vermiculite was best move i've made so far IMHO ,as to chimney fire i keep a pound of bicarbonate of soda in kitchen cabinet just incase,learned that from a old timer over in Stowe Vermont.He lived in log cabin and burnt only wood,thro it on a roaring fire give off CO2,heat takes it up chimney and hopefully puts out the creosote on fire.For £2.00 piece of mind you cant go wrong just incase.

Just dont listen to the fools who say a good chimney fire once a year saves sweeping it ,as that what grandpa did !

A creosote chimney fire will crack a masonry flue

Salt works the same doesn't it? I had one once in a really old cob cottage. Stove going into an open chimney. I just shut the stove right down and it went out.

I believe subbing wet wood with coal is a big cause of fires as the coal soot mixes with the creosote to make a highly flammable sticky goo which is impossible to brush off. I must admit to doing this before I knew better.