Making a large pallet wood store

treedom

The back is ok as the wood is stacked up, the wire is more there to form a line to stack up to and its sheltered at the back. The ends will get boarded over for winte. It's solid as a rock with all the bracing.

The overhangs are doing their job so far, there's a clear few hundred mm of dry ground around the shed when it rains. I've always got the option of sticking a sheet along the front if I find rain starts to get in during wilder weather. But then I've got the problem of securing the sheet so it doesn't blow away

870f021a.jpg

Edited by Ashes_Firewood

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good. I'm building something similar (and will finish it, if it ever stops raining).

I'm assuming that the base is 1.2m deep. If so how much overhang did you leave and what type/size plywood did you use for the roof?

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some time and managed to roof the cabin in the woods yesterday. Raised up a 3.66 half round post between the ladders and nailed on 7foot feather edge.

Next: tarp the top of it.

So far half full will about 13m3

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1341033140082.jpg.077799f801a41307e46d92db4f81e29e.jpg

Just about finished mine although not sorted the roof out completly. Currently using all the spare ply i had laying around. :thumbup1: But its free :001_tongue:

Since the picture I've added some wire meshk (stock fence) to the ends to stop logs escaping.

Total cost: box of deck screws from Screwfix & wood stain from Wicks.

Even the wifes happy with it.

Now need to fill it - anyone want to supply 10 tonne of hardword cord to just south of Chester?

Steve

DSC03210.jpg.65476393d5771f6d868be81c5b3e6369.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Can't beat a good wood stack, I always think it seems a shame to take them apart!

Turns out I am going to have to do something at the back of my store as with all this heavy rain we've had it's wet the bottom half of the stack. They dry out again ok at the moment but when the temperature drops in winter they'll stay wet. Got a load of corrugated sheets kicking round so might nail them to the back lower half to keep the rain off. There will still be a gap between the sheets & the logs so airflow should be ok... Will wait for a few warm dry days before I do it to make sure the logs have dried out first. I might even stick some guttering on cos I reckon most of it is coming from the water running off the roof.

The front is bone dry, not one drop of water getting in.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342800263.045562.jpg.0c8d4b1f28581c1b0a2d83491369cd85.jpg

I managed to get hold of these plastic pallets from a wholesaler who sells plumbing stuff. No holes for ankles to fall into and they don't rot. I no longer store bags in there I just fill with logs. Notice the herras fencing to keep the logs off the timber sides. Helps with drying.

• 1 year later...
Sorry for the derail but at the foot of the article he talks about having a great season collecting and boiling sap. Any ideas on why and what for?

Hello, I am the one who wrote the article. I collect sap from Sugar Maple trees here in Pennsylvania. We then boil down the sap (which is basically sweet water when it comes out of the tree). It takes roughly 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of maple syrup.

I made the barn to house our evaporator, goats, and lawn and gardening tools, and a hay loft.