Stihl 039 - fix or skip?

ArthurG

I've been lurking here for a long time, finally I'm hoping for some advice.

My aged but reliable 039 has got a problem, and I'd be grateful to hear what to do with it.

After ringing up a dead oak, I noticed one of the bar nuts was missing. Assuming I had not tightened it up enough, I borrowed one from another saw and found that the stud it goes on to is loose. Then I realised plastic thread in the body of the saw has stripped completely.

The saw has done a fair bit of work over the years, but just on larger diameters. I cut maximum 15 ton a year for firewood, and do a bit of hedgelaying, so I'm not a heavy user.

Apart from replacing the whole body, is there a safe way of repairing this or should I sell it for spares and get another saw?

Those inserts look like they will do the job and will be stronger than a typical stainless spring type helicoil, you will need to match the internal thread of the insert with the bar stud - a metric tap set or thread gauge could be used to do this.

I think I may have one of those studs and see if I can match the thread with my tap set.

Helicoils won't work in plastic besides you would have to use a lathe to make a replacement stud as you likely won't find a helicoil with the DG8 threads the bar stud uses.

As Pleasant says 1127 664 2410. The replacement stud has DG9 threads. No need to re-drill the hole just screw the stud in, coat the threads with a bit of oil. Make sure it goes in squarely. Use two bar nuts tightened together to enable you to screw it in.

There are oversized studs available for other models with plastic cases e.g. MS171, MS181, MS230 etc

1123 664 2405

The saws with alloy cases with the 3002 bar mount also have an oversize stud available but very rarely is it worth installing as there is normally a lot else damaged on the case.

1115 664 2405 (Standard stud used on later 056 saws).

The saws with alloy cases with the 3002 bar mount also have an oversize stud available but very rarely is it worth installing as there is normally a lot else damaged on the case.

1115 664 2405 (Standard stud used on later 056 saws).

Should say 3003 not 3002. 3003 is the bar mount for the MS240 through to MS660. 3002 is MS880, 076 etc.