Climber lifespan

Arran Turner

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 years old stronger and with more stamina than ever:rock:

My problem is when work goes quiet and I dont climb for a week or so I start to fall apart. Got trouble with my left knee atm it feels like its going to hinge sideways which I recon is due to spiking :thumbdown: it will be fine when things pick up

The "Age" thing crops up again. "It,s a young man,s game"..."You can,t climb forever" etc,etc... my view and probably the view of a lot of us older Arborists is all down to genes physicality,stamina and love of tree climbing. I,m 44. I,ve had the mid life crisis.Had the hernia opperation. Spawned a child who is now 22 and won the Novice pole climbing competition last year in Yorkshire...and in September i,ll be a Grandfather so hopefully my 3rd generation tree climber! Trees are my life and i still love everything about this industry..i,ll still regard it as a hobby first and a means of employment second...i am stronger than ever..but at a more steady pace than when i was younger but still get the job done with no drama....and have the greatest respect for any climbers older than me....i have even heared of one man who was still climbing at 75! Trees have kept me Young.

....i have even heared of one man who was still climbing at 75! Trees have kept me Young.

:thumbup: Exactly!!!!

My father is a joiner and still working at 70, whats the big deal about retiring any way, most of us will not be able to retire comfortably, I would sooner keep working (and remain fit) and have money to enjoy life, than retire and live on a shoe sting (and get flabby)