Australia working conditions?

Marula

Hi all. I was hoping someone in the know would be kind enough to help me with some information. I am looking at moving to Australia, I am about to be a qualified Arb officer but was just told they are not in demand over there or recognized for that matter. So which leaves the question, what are the working conditions like for climbers over there? and what is the career progression if there is no arb officer. I have already PMed silver squirrel but had no response.

many thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just moved over and the simple answer is there basically the same. It takes some time getting used to working in the heat and the ants in your pants can be quite uncomfortable if your unlucky enough to be up a tree full of them:001_huh: One thing i would suggest though is to look out for your own safety a bit more as you don't have to have any qualifications to climb over here so some of the Aussie workers can be a bit on the dangerous side.

G' day mate;p can you play the the didgerdoo?

haha hey mate. i have been working working in Melbourne for the past 1.5yr. and basically your Quals cross over and of course they have council arborists, in most different major suburbs in melbourne anyway.

As to being a climber, it all comes down to which company you work for. Some do easy smaller stuff and some more large work ie. up 70m and sometimes more. but thats not every day. So really you can pick and choose what you like, and guess where you want to live being the deciding factor. there is a big shortage of trained arborist here and there is loads loads of work. so you can kinda be pick and choose but remember some will really work ya.

As for a climbing contract, mostly 15m-40m is what i do. and lots of removals which i am fully over now. But you have to go hard and be able to take any job. and i assure you some have made my balls shirnk;p.

As for lifestyle and money is great. Melbs is a great city and i only done a couple days over 35 and no as bad as you think. just depends on the summer i guess, been good these last too not too hot.

Anyway good luck mate and Enjoy, one bit of advice is too not put all your eggs in one basket. make sure you find the right company to work for before settleing and then being a huge pain to get out of. i.e visa's etc etc.

MOG

p.s watch some groundies too:)