PTO chipper recommendations...

And how do you find it?

Do you ever think a van would be handy too?

Whats your work radius? Mine is approx 15 miles :thumbup1:

I go unto 30 miles on a fairly regular basis, but more often stay within around 10 miles of home.

I find just the mog fine, yes it would be nice to have maybe a 3.5 ton tipper and tow behind, but I don't want the expense.

I think really you need to think about what your main work is and what work you want to be doing.

I knew what set up I wanted many years before I got it and worked towards it.

I am pretty much my business, I do all my own climbing and cutting, the lad that works for me does not use a saw.

I have equipment instead of staff.

I love climbing and enjoy large removals, so thats what my equipment is best for.

You need to decide what work you want to be doing, what work your best at and what makes you money and get the correct set up to do that work best.

Edited by skyhuck

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run the Iveco 4x4 for general running about, fetching stuff, and picnics with the kids on Beaches.:biggrin:

Ldv Luton with tail lift, for putting stuff in that's heavy but not huge, small chipper, log splitter, various hand tools and materials. But pianos coz its a tail lift.:sneaky2:

U900 unimog with 7" rear mount chipper , winching also used for pressure washing and jetting jobs.

Valmet 8150 with jake plate and Patu crane, it runs a 10ton dump trailer, rd brush, chipper, 14 ton hook lift.

5.5 ton Mitsubishi tracked dumper with farmi timber crane, for road making, drainage work, accessing wet awkward areas and timber shifting.

I have the use of an RTV with my new low impact flail and weed wipe for meadow restoration.

Getting a 3 ton Cat excavator on Monday that will be used for anything diggy:laugh1:

Chris, this subject alone is a can of worms.

What's is the perfect set up?????

In my opinion Skyhuck has the best set up I've ever seen (and I'm insane with envy), I think this 'cos it would suit my requirements well and it's cool.

For me the perfect set up would be U1600 with 12"chipper on front. 3.5t trailer for more chips or logs. Canter van 'cos the bed is low enough for manual loading. Although, skyhucks trailer negates the need for these but it's expensive.

My best advice is don't sell your gear yet. Also, I understand that you want a bigger chipper for more speed but you'll be shocked how a Unimog powered chipper romps through it.

Having said that, if you're not interested in logs get a big chipper. Mine is 9" and a conifer fills the 6m chip bin very very quickly if we chip up to 9".

My mistakes:

1. Buying a U1200

2. Not buying a U1600

3. Putting the chipper on the back

4. Buying a horrid U1200 from Parkagri and having no money left to put the chipper on the front and buy a trailer or van.

I think global recycling have a 9" PTO Bandit for sale.

Don't rush into anything.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2qwqeq