when you think your good at your job

western

well, i class myself as a confident climber, but today started to question my abilities! today's job was to take down some very large pines next to 11kv lines. done the first two no problem and the other climber took down the other two.

once we had done that we had two more to complete which were closer to the lines, the foreman comes over and says can we spike up and fell them in half because it will be better to pull them out with the tractor instead of taking them down in smaller bits like we had been doing with the other for trees we completed, bear in mind the tree's are well over 80ft and only 10meters from the lines. well i didn't feel confident doing it the way the foreman instructed and refused to do it as i was concerned with braking the lines, the other climber was a unsure about doing it as well but done it any way.

The job went fine and nothing was broken, I am feeling a little deflated now and wish i just got on with it, the reason i feel so bad is that I've just started with this company and i don't want them to think bad of me. Thanks for reading all advice welcome regards western.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Gut instinct tells you a lot, training teaches you more, you make an assessment based on your combined experience. If the job had gone wrong, it is you that would have at least been at fault, not the foreman. You make the call.

Thanks for the advise mate, just wan't to make a good impression as I've just started with the company. the mad thing is the foreman has never climbed.

Well, as a non climber he should listen to his climbers. Would it have made a better impression if it had gone wrong and broken the lines? Or worse? Work together, listen to his opinion by all means, consult with the other climber and make a decision as a team not 3 individuals.

Had it gone all pear shaped, I suspect he would have said that he told you not to do it.

Thanks for the advise mate, just wan't to make a good impression as I've just started with the company. the mad thing is the foreman has never climbed.

as andy said you got to go with your gut feeling

in worse case all you have done is show the foreman that you dont take chances and i dont think that can really be a bad thing

Thanks for the comments guys, just feel a little deflated as someone else has done it and showed me up!

just because someone has done something you wouldnt do dont make them better

it didnt go wrong but it could of