Qualifications

Hi guys,

I am sure this has been up a million times but I am looking to get some qualifications in Forestry Management and would love to know where you guys would start?!

I am in the fortunate position that I am about to leave the British Army and have a grant for further and higher education for a few years so will be able to get most of my course paid for.

I am hoping that when I leave the army I will be able to work at a local Counrty Park as a Warden/Ranger type but really want to get a big qual to go with my tree felling and climbing quals.

Any tips/advice/pointers are greatly welcomed and sorry again if this is a repeat topic.

Thanks.

Dave.

Hi, im a shadow ranger for the forestry commission and work with a guy every now and then whos in a similar situation to you, hes coming up to retiring form the army having done 26 years and is currently studying at Askham Bryan in York think hes doing the Countryside management course (dont know which qual though) and then comes out with the Rangers as and when he can. Im pretty sure he wants to become a wildlife ranger. Unfortunately your felling and climbing quals will be useless in any forestry commission position as they sub anything like that out, most you will ever get your hands on is a bow saw and thats after various H&S and First Aid courses.

I am looking to get some qualifications in Forestry Management

I am hoping that when I leave the army I will be able to work at a local Counrty Park as a Warden/Ranger type but really want to get a big qual to go with my tree felling and climbing quals.

They are two completely different things really, and it seems that getting a ranger job is normally a matter of picking your organisation and volunteering for them until someone retires or dies. Even then the odds are they won't be replaced.

A large part of working as a ranger is likely to be volunteer management, which may or may not be what you want to do. You are very unlikely to do any forestry work.

If you decide that rangering is actually what you want to do then a qualification in Countryside Management or Environmental Conservation would be worth considering, and find some local volunteering opportunities to get some experience and get to know people. Subscribe to the Countryside Jobs Service to see what's around, what qualifications they are looking for and how little they pay!

If you want to go for forestry then a Foundation Degree or National Diploma in Forestry and/or woodland management would be worth considering. Then get in touch with local estates and contractors and try to get some work experience.

Thanks guys.

I know the felling thing is kind of anti to the forestry preservation type work. There are a couple of country parks near where I am moving to in May. I will need to speak to them to find out who they sub to for the cutting.

I do get a grant from the forces to pay for 5 years of higher or further education courses but I also have a family that I need to support so would need to be working and doing either distance learning or night school!