Recommendations Ladies and Gents

adam_coverdale

Hi All,

Looking for a new chainsaw and what to get some expert opinions. Here's the situation:

I have a wood burning stove and use it reguarly (the misses likes to keep warm!), we burn all year round. I get a supply of uncut wood from a couple of local sources and I currently use an Aldi 46CC Petrol chainsaw with 18" bar to chop them up ready for mauling, this is something I'll be doing all year round to keep stocks up as need to let it season.

I also have started felling some small trees for a couple of friends.

Wood I'm cutting is a mixture of hardwood and software.

Am looking for something with a bit more meat to it, an 18" bar is good but also would like to have something interchangable so have the option to use a smaller bar, if that makes sense!

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

A friend of mine went out last week with much the same brief as you and picked up a Husky, he had a budget of a couple of hundred quid. He had a 'Ferm Florin' whatever the hell that is [i broke it starting it last weekend!] - it was green - which his dad had free with a splitter...

I'll find out which Husky he went for in the end.... [means nothing to me, I'm a Stihl man...!]

Hi All,

Looking for a new chainsaw and what to get some expert opinions. Here's the situation:

I have a wood burning stove and use it reguarly (the misses likes to keep warm!), we burn all year round. I get a supply of uncut wood from a couple of local sources and I currently use an Aldi 46CC Petrol chainsaw with 18" bar to chop them up ready for mauling, this is something I'll be doing all year round to keep stocks up as need to let it season.

I also have started felling some small trees for a couple of friends.

Wood I'm cutting is a mixture of hardwood and software.

Am looking for something with a bit more meat to it, an 18" bar is good but also would like to have something interchangable so have the option to use a smaller bar, if that makes sense!

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

I would suggest something pro or semi pro ( depending on your budget ) arround the 50cc to 60cc size . In the husqvarna pro range a 346xp if you can get one, or its replacement the 550xp . Also a 357xp if you can get one, or its replacement the 560xp . There will be loads of other alternatives from Stihl etc etc . Good luck .

Everything starts with a budget - I speak from experience when I say that you learn that cheap isn't always cheerful in life.

My opinion, spend once and get it right so - what is your top end budget not forgetting to leave a little for tools and PPE - hard hat with face guard and muffs plus steel toecaps minimum.

Have a look at your local dealer options, the top 2 brands Husky and stihl will be a good place to start looking, there are other brands such as echo or makita, but I would go for a brand used by the pro's.

A saw of about 45-50cc should see you well for most of the jobs you will encounter, and handle a 18" bar just fine, also allowing for smaller guidebar fitting.

A pro level saw will last you longer than a home or semi pro saw, but you will be fine with a semi pro/farm saw. A stihl ms 271 or Husky 353 would be a good place to start. Husky 346xp would last you a life time and would be my saw of the centuary!

Visit your dealer, have a feel of what works for you and feels right.

Also, if you havent done so, get yourself on a chainsaw course and learn not only how to use your new saw but also to maintain it, money well spent imo.

Also remember PPE. Trousers and Lid- with eye and ear protection, should be classed as the minimum you need.

Personally, for what it sounds like you use, I'd ask Spud (Posted above) for what second hand offerings he has. You'll be gauranteed a good runner well serviced and will do you for a long while yet!! The you can treat your wife to a nice meal out with the savings and earn even more brownie points!:thumbup: