Fomes fomentarius

David Humphries

David,

Judged from the photo's, I would say this is Phellinus ignarius. In The Netherlands and Germany I have only seen Fomes fomentarius on poplars, which grow alongside rivers or on riverbanks in so-called "Auwälder". In The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg and Germany, Fomes fomentarius mainly grows on beech and birch, and sometimes on Quercus, Tilia, Aesculus, Alnus and Salix. In Poland you can find it on old Acer along roadsides.

Sometimes Fomes fomentarius is mixed up with Fomitopsis pinicola, which not only grows on Pinus and Picea, but also on Fagus, Betula, Quercus, Acer (Poland) and Prunus (Germany, Sweden).

By the way, my encyclopaedia was written in 1996 and has not been reviewed since.

Gerrit

Hello Gerrit,

we have P. ignarius on Willow at the same site (within a few hundred yards) as this bracket on the Poplar.

Have to say that they look very different.

The ignarius on the Willows have the atypical dark/black upper crust, whereas this bracket on the Poplar appears white.

We also have F. fomentarius here at the same site in London on Birch, which is suposedly particularly rare here in the south of the Uk.

May get up to this bracket to get a closer look.

as i don't condone individuals climbing big trees without adequate support :sneaky2::lol:

Acknowledged that your encyclopaedia is now aged, but it still stands up robustly against other newer tomes, in my opinion.

Any plans to update?

Or is that what the cd rom is ?

thanks

David :001_smile:

Edited by Monkey-D

Hello Gerrit,

Acknowledged that your encyclopaedia is now aged, but it still stands up robustly against other newer tomes, in my opinion.

Any plans to update?

Or is that what the cd rom is ?

thanks

David :001_smile:

I totaly agree on that statement, always found gerrits work reliable:thumbup1:

Any plans to update? Or is that what the cd rom is ?

David,

The publisher of my encyclopaedia does not invest in upgrading, because it would mean, that the upgrade starting with the original Dutch version had first to be retranslated in English and German and from English and/or German in the other five languages in which it has been published.

In 2010, the CD-ROM both in Dutch and English has been upgraded, but that does not mean that all the new substrates of fungi have been documented on the CD-ROM as well, as the changes of substrates and partner trees take place while we speak, as you now see in the British situation occuring too.

So any questions on the subject, I have joined the forum to answer them.

Gerrit

David,

The publisher of my encyclopaedia does not invest in upgrading, because it would mean, that the upgrade starting with the original Dutch version had first to be retranslated in English and German and from English and/or German in the other five languages in which it has been published.

In 2010, the CD-ROM both in Dutch and English has been upgraded, but that does not mean that all the new substrates of fungi have been documented on the CD-ROM as well, as the changes of substrates and partner trees take place while we speak, as you now see in the British situation occuring too.

So any questions on the subject, I have joined the forum to answer them.

Gerrit

I am sure I speak for us all when i say your presence and contribution to this forum will be very gratefully received and valued. Im sure we all have so many questions, and will gain so much from your help on this vital topic.:thumbup1:

Both myself and David are very excited by your arrival!:blushing:

I am sure I speak for us all when i say your presence and contribution to this forum will be very gratefully received and valued. Im sure we all have so many questions, and will gain so much from your help on this vital topic.:thumbup1:

Both myself and David are very excited by your arrival!:blushing:

and me....fed up of you two rabbiting on:001_rolleyes::biggrin:

and me....fed up of you two rabbiting on:001_rolleyes:

:thumbup:

Anyhoos back to Fomes fomentarius. :001_rolleyes:

come on sean get your Richmond ones up here.

here's a good set from when I was out in the Basque in '09.

have posted them in that thread before, but I doubt anyone visits that old hat, so here they should reside :001_smile:

First, in attendance with other fung.........

DSC09974.JPG.4fbb9fa2357e5a0444e6019daf3eecbe.JPG

DSC09970.JPG.1da103cb5c086e71c1b57d82232dc11e.JPG

DSC00513.JPG.09155dcf7aac936d3a3d1c6bae1ab8b3.JPG

DSC09937.jpg.6cad31b815a76d01540d877a543964da.jpg

DSC09936.jpg.069f0a1d7a1b02f91b7bed93053dec29.jpg

This is a typical scene for the final stage of old beech trees in Dutch forests. In this case, not only Fomes fomentarius is present, but also Meripilus giganteus and not visible in the photo, high up on the tree Pholiota aurivella, Oudemansiella mucida and Inonotus cuticularis and at the backside of the tree Ganoderma lipsiense, Armillaria mellea and Hypholoma fasciculare.

From the living roots of the beech, in autumn fruitbodies of ectomycorrhizal fungi such as Scleroderma citrinum (see bottom right of the photo), Boletus badius, Paxillus involutus, Laccaria amethystina and Russula ochroleuca still surface. Ectomycorrhizal symbionts specific for beech such as Russula mairei, R. fellea, Lactarius blennius and L. fluens have disappeared.

If you follow and document the presence of fungi over a longer period of time, you can watch the tree species specific succession of symbionts, parasites and saprobionts in progress.

Years ago I visited a trunk of a fallen old beech at regular intervals during a period of 15 years and found 157 species of macrofungi on it, each of them having a specific function in the recycling process of the bark and wood at a certain point in time.

Gerrit

59765aa4bc638_Beuk-Echte-tonderzwam--Reu.jpg.7e2a4bb9d5222dd6697872c3af458d95.jpg

Edited by Fungus

Years ago I visited a trunk of a fallen old beech at regular intervals during a period of 15 years and found 157 species of macrofungi on it, each of them having a specific function in the recycling process of the bark and wood at a certain point in time.

Gerrit

I found a huge piece of fallen beech (nearly a whole tree) that i found a few weeks ago in the local woodland i used to frequent as a lad, it is full of fungi already and i can't wait to go back in the autumn to find out whats growing:thumbup:

i'll be making many trips back to this location over the next few years!