Fomes fomentarius

David Humphries

Tinder / Hoof fungus

Usually hosted on Beech, Poplar, Birch further up north.

But here on Oak.

This tree has had these perenial fruit bodies around the stem @ heights varying from 6 - 12 m for a number of years.

This week I've noticed these new Fb's @ approx 1 -2 m height on the same sides as the upper mature brackets.

Which atm, I'm presuming to be newly developing Fomes, indicating that the decay has spread down the trunk.

(If they happen to turn into something else, I'll let ya'll know)

The decay commonly extends in to a tree via wounding into the sapwood and/or exposed heartwood and is a simultaneous white rot.

This can (but hasn't yet after approx 10 yrs) lead to brittle fracture.

Will now change the mo on this tree and reduce to a Monnard.

Pictures of type and extent of decay to be posted in the new year.

Will also carry out a Dmp on the basal decay.

Ftr, as decay appeared originally in the top half of the tree, targets not considered to be at risk.

Now the decay has spread to base of the tree, risk & hazard are now deemed to be significantly higher,

as failure at base brings target into falling zone.

PC020028.JPG.08ad34307dd38531b26cafaf522ca9a3.JPG

PC020027.JPG.e820b7a2831b2c0d5d6153f2a68e64c2.JPG

PC020025.JPG.94b903f65786f4a1905ab2b70d3a720c.JPG

P2240005.JPG.43913523e13fb393cc1868c47ad3685a.JPG

P2240001.JPG.a128688e3cec5dbbeda4d417f0129f5a.JPG

Edited by Monkey-D

Verry intresting, I'm still quite new in the Arb world and i'm learning all the time. :confused1:

Is that tree to dangerous to climb?

Has it just affected the main stem of is there any fungi an the limbs?

What will you do fell it?

Sorry if these are obvious to some of you, just trying to imput some more knowldge in my tiny little head:confused1:

Verry intresting, I'm still quite new in the Arb world and i'm learning all the time. :confused1:

Is that tree to dangerous to climb?

Has it just affected the main stem of is there any fungi an the limbs?

What will you do fell it?

Sorry if these are obvious to some of you, just trying to imput some more knowldge in my tiny little head:confused1:

Tree has lost a couple of limbs to decay/wind damage.

Ther are no fb's on this trees limbs, and I've never personally seen Fomes on branches before, pretty sure the decay is confined mainly to the body of the trunks.

Until I decide to dismantle what ever proportion of the tree that is going to be coming down (fell/reduction), then knowing the extent of decay is purely based upon a combination of fungal Id, sound of timber density or the further investigation route ie, digital micro drill/resistograph, picus tomograph or in this situation a free :sneaky2: case study by Marcus or Andrew with the Thermal Imager would be a very nice holistic approach to getting a good picture of the trees overall decay progression.

Many on here will tell you (once they'd visited the tree themselves, that is) that this tree is probably still very climable, and it may well be.

In some circumstances we ourselves might even climb and reduce it,

But with this particular tree, knowing the history as I do and having access to the site plus having a MEWP, then the site specific R/A hirearchy will inform my choice here.

Nelly will get a little run out.

I'll probably post a picture or two :blushing:

Assessment of your targets is always the critical part of any equation when it comes to tree retention/fells.

Tree has lost a couple of limbs to decay/wind damage.

Ther are no fb's on this trees limbs, and I've never personally seen Fomes on branches before, pretty sure the decay is confined mainly to the body of the trunks.

Until I decide to dismantle what ever proportion of the tree that is going to be coming down (fell/reduction), then knowing the extent of decay is purely based upon a combination of fungal Id, sound of timber density or the further investigation route ie, digital micro drill/resistograph, picus tomograph or in this situation a free :sneaky2: case study by Marcus or Andrew with the Thermal Imager would be a very nice holistic approach to getting a good picture of the trees overall decay progression.

Many on here will tell you (once they'd visited the tree themselves, that is) that this tree is probably still very climable, and it may well be.

In some circumstances we ourselves might even climb and reduce it,

But with this particular tree, knowing the history as I do and having access to the site plus having a MEWP, then the site specific R/A hirearchy will inform my choice here.

Nelly will get a little run out.

I'll probably post a picture or two :blushing:

Assessment of your targets is always the critical part of any equation when it comes to tree retention/fells.

Many thanks Monkeyd for your indepth information, it 's always good to listen to people with more knowledge than yourself.

I'll be intrested in the out come, please keep me informed.:thumbup1:

Johnty

• 7 months later...

7 months on, and have not reduced this Tree yet.

Here are the young Fb's a little more developed.

Really like the leaf impressions on the fb that is growing on a detached branch on the ground.

Tried brushing away the offending leaves for the shot, realised they were stuck on to the surface, scraped the foliage away and saw this :001_cool:

DSC03778.jpg.40ae40b3bc9f394bbccd77a7a331c474.jpg

DSC03772.jpg.07ac56dfae953529fdeba704c1c87c42.jpg

DSC03770.jpg.e45b5f51a92df593b081e1cb202d52bb.jpg

DSC03760.JPG.bf4500992a87d4a2740bb0e4173adcc0.JPG

DSC03753.jpg.40a29e256b09870ed8844f0cbaba03ba.jpg

There is a term used amongst fungos to denote the propensity and ease with which fruit bodies are seemingly unphased by interruptions to their structure, enveloping anything they need to. Exactly like expanding foam which is what my brain is I reckon (expanding foam )...cos I cant for the life of me remember what it is!

Damn thats annoying.....Anyone?