My first Mog

chrisgilltreesurgery

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

I know what you mean....

Just sold this one. (the truck that is).

Collected Mog in Stornoway, or some place with very small roads and took to Atkinson Vos for turbo kit.

They are like children, loved having them, great when they have gone!:thumbup:

That's a great looking lorry and drag, just what I'm looking for, did you say you'd just sold it?

Whats your views on Atkinson Vos

Can only give my own pers views as you would expect.....

Very knowledgeble and helpful.

I have bought various things from them, tyres, fuel tank, grills, mudgaurds all reasonable considering what you would pay from Mercedes.

There returns policy has been brilliant when I incorrectly ordered, full refund! Shipping same day.

Even sent small item free with no charge!

Talked at length about intercooling my mog, which they didn't advise considering I don't run any kit fm mine... thought I should try a while first.

When I'm passing, they are going to do rear coil springs (I'm running heavy with mewp)

It just so happened I knew of them from trucking.

I'm sure the other companies will be equally as good.

I, like you talk to lots of people with mogs, some have good, bad, and ugly stories about where they have been. Its easy to get sucked into getting options quickly at the beginning, as you may have noticed these can be very pricey!

My biggest purchases for the mog have been winches and shot blasting/painting, both these I've had done where all my trucks have been. Can't afford mistakes at those kind of prices.

Have Ramsey RPH 20k front, Warn M1500 rear. The paint and shot blasting has followed 2 weeks fabrication at a guy I use in Welshpool.

Like most, my mog is my largest advert whilst out working. I can't be doing with things that are'nt right or don't perform well.

I have read the threads on how much they cost to keep, all I can say after running other commercial vehicles I am more than happy with the return v cost.

I think the trick is, like some of the lads mentioned, buy the best you can. You appear to have done just that......

Steve

Hi Arc

The blue demount drag has gone..... the grey crane F12 awaiting cash transfer.

I tried to encourage Global to swap grey volvo for a chipper last year, but it was not to be.

It took 7 weeks to bare metal strip and spray this one.... I cannot tell you the money it cost to bring it right up. I think without checking 6k in tyres!

When I read the cost of mog up-keep I do smile a little!

Steve

5976605bde69d_cameramemory186.jpg.21e79eb76bdc4b82a1169f412b0630a1.jpg

5976605bdc43d_cameramemory168.jpg.c5c625c676505aa1246a137e898227b3.jpg

5976605bd9033_cameramemory167.jpg.c23bb8c0ae08b758cf22f045d209b81c.jpg

5976605bd7049_cameramemory165.jpg.96da25ca90bc467bd2c0d3cb06d3395d.jpg

I like the trailer especially as I need some thing I can put my Valtra with roofmount on, but don't want an artic unit, so it needs to be drag trailer really, and the lorry needs to be fairly compact, that's why I thought your 6 wheeler with steering / lift axle was just about right.

I've also been taking to Global about a large tracked machine (having a demo on

Monday from them) and need something to move it around if I go ahead.

I know what you mean about mog running costs, we run a couple of 7.5's and have had a 26 tonner in the past and I have to say our 2 mogs are fairly cost effective in comparison.

The lack of an MOT will save a couple of grand a year at least.

The thing with a lorry like your's is you can always get additional hire work when it's not busy doing your own stuff.

I've gone from 8 tractor & 16 trailers on a International to zero. My mog is a tower crane with little depreciation, 15 mpg as opposed to 6mpg... no 6/8 weeklys park it anywhere without P/P it earns money on tickover, fraction of the price to buy. The list just goes on!

I was lucky to earn 400-500 daily with a truck, 350 in fuel, 50 in tyres, 100.00 in everthing else. Then undercutting.... (even double manning, could'nt make it)

You need to be hauling your own product to make it pay. Yes there were good days, but a long while ago.

Quite happy been a newbie here.

122030230.jpg

122029774.jpg

122019697.jpg

122019887.jpg

:001_tt2::thumbup::001_tt2::thumbup::001_tt2::thumbup::001_tt2::thumbup:

Im soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!

Tidy Mog- But slightly concerned, in the last picture- the tipper subframe appears to be welded to the unimog chassis- wont last very long if you venture off road as defeats the object of a Mog chassis flexing.

for all you folks with mogs out there, heres a link to a site( its not a con honest, its a russian site) with a copy of the mercedes epc(electronic parts catalouge), if you persevere it will display most of the parts for most of the mogs, the parts no's are good, gives you somewhere to start at your merc dealer....lol (Ýëåêòðîííûé êàòàëîã çàï÷àñòåé Mercedes-Benz // Àíàëîã EWA NET (EPC, WIS))