Advice urgantly needed

I'm 21 and I'm a second year Mechanical Engineering student at Cardiff University. I hate it. After a year of it affecting my health I have been diagnosed with severe Depression and Anxiety.

I made a mistake by going to university, I need and love to work outside.

I can't face sitting any more exams, but with little accreditation for my work so far I need to do something else.

Can anyone on here reccommend a route into tree work that might suit me?

A day release course or an apprenticeship perhaps.

I'm a quick learner and all my grades were good, I just need to not be in university, but following a career path that I want.

Also I'm no stranger to woodland, brought up on a farm (its that that im missing) this last year I've been selling logs, kindling and briquettes and doing quite well, but its not a business I could make a living from.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

As gensetsteve said,how long you got left? From my own personal experience I'd advise you to stick at it and see it through,I made the same mistake when I left school,went to collage and didn't like it so walked away and got a job but I regreted doing it and so will you I think in the future. If your in second year you should be through the worst of it and your resulting qualifications will make you more employable even in arb I would imagin. Sorry it's not the answer you were looking for but wouldn't want you to regret it in years to come knuckle down and see it through,I got a second chance you may not. As for arb related courses I ain't got a clue sorry

True I would stick it out. I was employed easly into a job as I had mechanical qualifications and It was seen that I could look after the machinery and save company some money on garages or fitters.

I work mainly for myself now but I work for an arb company as and when needed or when I can work.

Finish your mechanical engineering if you can bring yourself to - I really wish I had an engineering degree and have regretted not doing it ever since I was your age. As you get older and your responsibilities/commitments grow you can start to lose the opportunity to study - make the most of it now! You have the rest of your life to go out and work in any industry you choose - if you can finish your course and get a qualification it will show future employers that you have the mettle to see things through, even if you don't follow an engineering path. Focus on the positives - you must have chosen your course for a reason. And as Rupe (almost) says, go out and hunt down some poon-tang if you're feeling a bit low, it usually helps (but often brings a whole new set of problems to the table if you aren't careful...)!

Hah I'm actually okay for "poon-tang" at the moment, I'm living with some!

I sought similar advice in my first year and I stuck with it. I'm now at my whit's end.

At the moment I feel that I'm better off starting again with something I enjoy before I'm too old.

I appreciate the support though guys...

Hah I'm actually okay for "poon-tang" at the moment, I'm living with some!

I sought similar advice in my first year and I stuck with it. I'm now at my whit's end.

At the moment I feel that I'm better off starting again with something I enjoy before I'm too old.

I appreciate the support though guys...

SOME?!?! As in more than 1?! And you're still feeling down??? I'm not sure tree work is going to fix your melancholy!!!!!!!!!!!!!