Disc chipper or Drum Chipper ?

hayden

Advantages of Disk chippers are few over Drums - Good volicity, and good chipping of fiberous material on right angle disks.

45 degree disks make for efficient chipping, and assist feeding, but make a chipper look awkward big and ugly.

Drums have a better rotational energy, can cut a much wider cut than a disk, are more compact, and can be made very very strong.

Drums are usually heavier, and can suffer from poor chip discharge.

What models are you looking at?

• 8 years later...

It all depends what you're doing with it

the disc or flywheel chippers are probably more abundant

if youre doing any conifers or vines etc make sure you get a chipper where the disc is close to and parallel with the feed rollers

I had a Bandit 90 for a while that had a 45 deg offset flywheel it was fantastic for eating whole trees very efficient with any sort of hard or softwoods all except conifer, it all balled up in the gap between the feed rollers and the flywheel

I think a few of the larger American chippers are drum chippers now - certainly nothing wrong with them

they seem to be just as efficient when processing material

disc or drum

I think its always the same with machinery... it's either works or it doesn't

there is no middle ground. I've used some fantastic machines in my time and I've used some God awful ones too -

who ever said a good workman never blames his tools - what a load of rubbish

if you want a compact drum chipper these are pretty good

[ame]

[/ame]