the most horrific thing iv read in a while

jacjak

In what authorities and town officials are calling a tragic accident, a 6-year-old Salem boy was killed Tuesday when he was pulled into a wood chipper while helping his father.

Jeffrey Bourgeois, a first-grader at Salem Elementary School, was with his father, Scott Bourgeois, and two siblings at a job site at 24 Brookside Drive when the accident occurred shortly after 8:45 a.m., police said.

Salem School students are on vacation this week.

Scott Bourgeois, of West Road in Salem, runs C & S Tree Removal LLC.

State police spokesman Lt. J. Paul Vance said Jeffrey, while his father’s back was turned, was attempting to help out by placing a tree branch in the chipper. Jeffrey became entangled and was pulled into the chipper, Vance said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

“It’s a very tragic and difficult scene for everybody,” Vance said.

Along with numerous state police troopers and major crime detectives, Vance was joined at the scene by Salem First Selectman Kevin Lyden and Salem Fire Department Chief Gene Maiorano. Maiorano lives across the street from the scene of the accident, knows the family and was first on the scene. He declined to comment.

“Today is a very, very tragic day for our Salem residents,” Lyden said. “Our hearts and prayers go out to the family.”

Lyden pledged any support available from the town to the family and asked media gathered at the scene to respect the privacy of the family while they grieve. Lyden said he would seek assistance for counselors for the family and emergency responders.

Vance said the accident is under investigation by major crime detectives as a matter of protocol. There does not appear to be any criminal aspect to the case, he said.

Read more: Salem 6-year-old dies in wood chipper accident - Norwich, CT - The Bulletin Salem 6-year-old dies in wood chipper accident - Norwich, CT - The Bulletin

Very sad but what on earth was a 6 year old doing anywhere near a chipper? :thumbdown:

Im sure the father is now asking himself that get the feeling he will be living in his own personal hell probably for the rest of his life,

I cannot understand the parents of kids nowadays. I run a Landshare community on a designated area of the farm with allotments and polytunnels. Next I see is three of the youngsters 7-11 climbing all over my wood piles. I screamed at them in no uncertain manner to get off and never let me see them anywhere near the timber as they knew it was out of bounds. I then get questioned by the parents why are you shouting at my children. Does not bear thinking about if any of the piles had collapsed as most of the timber was in 6 mtr lengths and would need the forwarder to lift it.

Next I see is three of the youngsters 7-11 climbing all over my wood piles. I screamed at them in no uncertain manner to get off and never let me see them anywhere near the timber as they knew it was out of bounds. I then get questioned by the parents why are you shouting at my children.

Children get their parenting from a variety of sources these days. If parents don't want other people telling their kids off then they need to teach them how to behave. :)

This happens a little over once a year in the states, its by no means a one off freak incident!!! Big chippers over there, and kids helping dads in the holidays, crazy but it happens more frequently than we would like to think!!