hitch climber nightmare

tony053

I use 4-2 with 10mm beal regate on 13mm gecko. Been told it would work even better with smaller diameter prusik but I have no probs with it gripping/running :).

P.s Blimey hamadryad 2-3 must be entertaining!

I don't think the number of wraps to braids make it any more sporty. I climbed for quite a while on 2-2. On 3-2 now as the small wrap area caused a few burns, but made it a little longer and its actually a bit quicker. Obviously 6 or 8 wraps will create more friction, but the longer the knot is the looser it can get when you take the weight off it and this determines how quick it is.

On a SJ now. Now that is entertaining. Just given it a few weeks of solid climbing for the first time recently, and well over the jerky stage. Loving the control. If I can just adjust my habits so I don't have to use it left handed, will be laughing.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the number of wraps to braids make it any more sporty. I climbed for quite a while on 2-2. On 3-2 now as the small wrap area caused a few burns, but made it a little longer and its actually a bit quicker. Obviously 6 or 8 wraps will create more friction, but the longer the knot is the looser it can get when you take the weight off it and this determines how quick it is.

The number of wraps turns etc has everything to do with the behaviour of the hitch. Less will be "more sporty" to use your phrase & less likely to grab without some setting. More will be more dependable but with greater friction

I havent really had much time to climb recently as im still at college so thinking of trying a different hitch instead of the vt just to get used to the hitch climber, but was just wondering what people would recommend was thinking distel or swabich but if anyone uses anything else i would be up for trying anything tbh

cheers guys

The number of wraps turns etc has everything to do with the behaviour of the hitch. Less will be "more sporty" to use your phrase & less likely to grab without some setting. More will be more dependable but with greater friction

Sorry, should have said the number of wraps and braids in itself won't make it more sporty. I personally, find that the length of the hitch is more important. The extra length gives the wraps more room to loosen, thereby giving less friction, but less likely to grip.

I have 2 lengths of cord in my kit bag at the moment, one is set up for a very short 2-2, and the other is set for a long 3-2. The 2-2 is way more reliable grip wise and won't loosen as much on descent, where the 3-2 will act as though there is nearly zero friction once I take the weight off it, but needs to be set sometimes (I take care to set it every time). In practice the 3-2 set up is far quicker. I could go with a 2-2 set up a similar length and this would probaly be faster, but I'm not a huge fan of friction burns.

yeah i have heard that it is a good one to start with just wasnt sure if swabish would be better

think i will try distel first

A lot will vary on your choice of rope combination. Also climbing system use is all down to personal preference otherwise we'd all be using the same knot/device.

Practice low and slow always and try to test the knot in as many different ways as possible (i.e lower into it slowly (does it set instantly or creep?), try a very short drop into it (very low to the ground obviously), find out what happens when bits twist, does it catch on anything that could prevent the knot setting etc etc). All sounds a bit anal but knowing how your system reacts to different things is so valuable up at height.

Experiment and stay safe :thumbup:

Sorry, should have said the number of wraps and braids in itself won't make it more sporty. I personally, find that the length of the hitch is more important. The extra length gives the wraps more room to loosen, thereby giving less friction, but less likely to grip.

I have 2 lengths of cord in my kit bag at the moment, one is set up for a very short 2-2, and the other is set for a long 3-2. The 2-2 is way more reliable grip wise and won't loosen as much on descent, where the 3-2 will act as though there is nearly zero friction once I take the weight off it, but needs to be set sometimes (I take care to set it every time). In practice the 3-2 set up is far quicker. I could go with a 2-2 set up a similar length and this would probaly be faster, but I'm not a huge fan of friction burns.

The wraps and braids DO make a difference as they can increase the loading (less of them ) or decrease it (more of them) on the top of the hitch. Length of cord & relative cord length also factors. Diameter of cord, type along with rope selection all change things

The performance of the hitch is truly a sum of it's parts