Bulk Bags

johnnytrees

I have logs that have been seasoning outside for three years and when tested with the moisture meter are as wet as they were on day one.

If they are outside with a sheet over the top and sides open for air circulation, will season well, there are a few like sycamore that seem to season ok in the open.

You'll be suprised how wet yout logs will be if you test them and it's not till the customers have some really dry stuff that they notice how much better the dry stuff is.

Saying all that, I sometimes have problems selling guaranteed moisture content logs because of the ignorance of customers, some really don't know or don't care what they are, as long as they are cheap :001_smile:

hows this the lad that works for split 2,ton off green oak by mistake so i put it in a seprate pile out off the way, i looked @ this pile the other day & thought whers all that gone ? landscapers thinking i wouldnt notice & make a few quid, have had it away well most of it so i calmley mentiond to them not to take take off that pile as it will need 2yrs + to dry out as it is piss wet thru knowing they had sold to some of there regular maintance custumers ?well i found quite amusing ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you split your oak to season it Johnny?

The stuff I have is in 6ft lengths and has been stacked outside for at least 3 years if not 4 and it's still wet through, I'm going to have to either split it or cover it I think,

it will probably never dry dean! i know sometimes time is at a premium but i cut my hardwood (admittedly mostly clean ash,oak,sycamore 4ft long,split it with 2 mauls green,stack it off the floor quite tight and bark side up,high as you can get it,as long as its in by may its bone dry by october,and stays dry all winter in the stack :001_smile:

Do you split your oak to season it Johnny?

The stuff I have is in 6ft lengths and has been stacked outside for at least 3 years if not 4 and it's still wet through, I'm going to have to either split it or cover it I think,

no it should have gone in the biomass pile lazy driver couldnt be arsed to move truck 20m ?

it will probably never dry dean! i know sometimes time is at a premium but i cut my hardwood (admittedly mostly clean ash,oak,sycamore 4ft long,split it with 2 mauls green,stack it off the floor quite tight and bark side up,high as you can get it,as long as its in by may its bone dry by october,and stays dry all winter in the stack :001_smile:

oak and beech take alot longer then sycamore and ash to season. but your method is spot on.

no i did not, but my point was that the wood seasoned adequately to be burnt and in was less then a year old and stored outside.

Just interested, it would have been good to know a value of what it can be sold at to burn well, I would imagine about 25% :confused1: I have some I have had split under cover for about 2 months and it's already down to 25%

oak and beech take alot longer then sycamore and ash to season. but your method is spot on.
thanks bill,although i do find split oak dries quicker than ash.ash looks dry but you get that tell tale "pinkness" within 5 mins of sawing it,after years of experience i can tell how dry it is by the residue each species leaves on my sawbench blade,how sad am i?!! :blushing:

Just interested, it would have been good to know a value of what it can be sold at to burn well, I would imagine about 25% :confused1: I have some I have had split under cover for about 2 months and it's already down to 25%

its all down to the timber type. i have some beech which isnt burning and its been drying out the same time. i might get a moisture meter but im worried i'll get like you! :sneaky2: