How safe are your feet? Chainsaw boot test

Mick the Tree

I have just tested the cut protection on 2 pairs of chainsaw boots. Neither managed to stop, or even significantly slow the chain; the kevlar on the Haix boots did not wrap round the sprocket at all, and on the Alico it wrapped slightly (see picture), but nowhere near enough to produce resistance. Infact the leather seemed to produce far more resistance than the kevlar!

See the videos here:

Chainsaw Boot Test - YouTube - Haix Protector Lights

Chainsaw Boot Test - YouTube - Alico

5976604e96f2d_april2012home057.jpg.e1f8ea491fdecac3b6c61d71eb6be92e.jpg

5976604e93dab_april2012home054.jpg.1b874854aab321b91691590de870c898.jpg

5976604e91724_april2012home053.jpg.a2a24105f2b6b50744fa65973b9395df.jpg

5976604e8caa7_april2012home052.jpg.0209a09c978ad64f95c2b93466f29dc1.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PPE is only there to "give you a chance", saws are dangerous and need to be used accordingly.

Personally I don't want to be made to wear PPE thats any more restrictive than the current equipment, which it would need to be to offer more protection.

TBH I'm surprised that people think our PPE offers more protection than it does.

PPE is only there to "give you a chance", saws are dangerous and need to be used accordingly.

Personally I don't want to be made to wear PPE thats any more restrictive than the current equipment, which it would need to be to offer more protection.

TBH I'm surprised that people think our PPE offers more protection than it does.

This is too true, ppe is only there as a last line of defence, it is down to the operator to ensure that he or she takes all neseccery steps to avoid an accident.

Bit like health and safety is only there to protect when all else fails.