Overloading lol

chrisgilltreesurgery

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the U20 does not come off then I think ill go down the rout of keeping my kit, selling the Hilux and buying a U1600

And if that doesnt work out im gona sell up and clean windows!

Chris what's th engine in the hilux? I might be interested in buying it. Any other info?

its not a case of 'O' license for us.

its more a problem with space. we've just enough room in our yard for the transits, trailers, tractors etc.

the yard we rent for the logs etc isnt secure enough for equipment.

there's a well maintained iveco 7.5 tonner coming up for sale soon in the village, and we've thought about getting her.

swapping one of the transits for the iveco's not an option.

:confused1: :confused1:

the ammount of running about that the vans do wouldnt be possible in a thirsty, speed limited wagon, but it would be nice not to worry about being overloaded.

we've got a nice little conny clearence job coming up, 42 40'ers to remove. the iveco'd be perfect for that

Thinking about all the arb jobs we do and I would say we could get by with a 7.5 tonner

Yes it would cost more to run to jobs but we would only need one trip not two.

Not sure where we would park it as parking is tight at our yard.

Parking on site sometimes would mean more dragging.

Possibly a trailer/navara combo with tracked chipper would be best solution all round legally. That combo new would cost say £45K

But this would mean ALWAYS towing a trailer when doing gardening rounds to carry ride on mower.

But- this would mean safer loading and not needing ramps.

Is that the solution then?

4 W drive pickup with the security of a locked double cab/converted tool box

Would have to be tipping trailer for chip/large kit.

Or

Just Keep Calm and carry on occasionally being overweight.

If anybody down here in the BN area is afraid of being overweight for a particular job, then PM me and I'll let you have my number. We use a large twin axle 4 way tipping trailer (yep, tips forward as well so stuff can be slid to the front), and might be able to help depending on time and notice, for a reasonable fee. It might work out quite well - you could chip straight into the trailer, or chuck brash into it or whatever, and we'll cart it off. We're licensed waste carriers so can carry other waste too if necessary.

Having been pulled on the M6 a few weeks ago then I have done some reserch.

I do not do arb work so maybe my findings do not apply, I do process and sell firewood though as a side line. I was driving a TD5 Disco with an IFW 10 x 5 box trailer, doing a supplier collection, ie hire and reward and more than 30 miles from base.

Max gross weight of trailer is 2700kg, Disco is about 2400kg from memory, so my maximum allowed all up weight is just over 5 tonnes. Well in excess of the 3.5 tons allowed before a Tacho is needed, the fact that I only had about 400kg aboard in acedemic.

However providing the trailer is plated at under 3500kg then I dont need an O lic, operating center or CPC.

Luckily got let off with a warning, have now had tacho installed though, Another pull without would have meant trouble for sure.

A