Overloading lol

chrisgilltreesurgery

When I started this thread I failed to mention that when I was on the weigh bridge I didnt have the chipper on, so this means adding an additional 1350kg to the scary 5880kg OMFG!

What about an MB Track with a grain trailer??? I dont think there is a suitable answer for small time tree work companies is there, we just have to muddle through the best we can. If we were all to get 6.5 tonners of above I think this would put a lot of more stress on our business's money wise. Ok it would be the right thing to do possibly, but when tree work is as cut throat as it is up in the north and your trying to put food in your kids mouths then what is the answer? Maybe VOSA should be more strict and clamp down on 3.5 ton drivers in tree work and it would put a lot of chancers out of work leaving more work for the professionals. I certainly dont have the answer, not even after nearly 100 posts on here.

I have started to take my Hilux to work though so I can put the kit in the back and tow the chipper but if I get stopped by VOSA ill still be well over. I might sell my canter and insist that customers keep all timber and chip, obviously at an additional charge of £100 per tree!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started this thread I failed to mention that when I was on the weigh bridge I didnt have the chipper on, so this means adding an additional 1350kg to the scary 5880kg OMFG!

What about an MB Track with a grain trailer??? I dont think there is a suitable answer for small time tree work companies is there, we just have to muddle through the best we can. If we were all to get 6.5 tonners of above I think this would put a lot of more stress on our business's money wise. Ok it would be the right thing to do possibly, but when tree work is as cut throat as it is up in the north and your trying to put food in your kids mouths then what is the answer? Maybe VOSA should be more strict and clamp down on 3.5 ton drivers in tree work and it would put a lot of chancers out of work leaving more work for the professionals. I certainly dont have the answer, not even after nearly 100 posts on here.

I have started to take my Hilux to work though so I can put the kit in the back and tow the chipper but if I get stopped by VOSA ill still be well over. I might sell my canter and insist that customers keep all timber and chip, obviously at an additional charge of £100 per tree!

That's pretty much what lots of us do I reckon, A heavy 3.5 tonner with a chipper and equipment is a certain pull. taking the gear on another wagon lessen the odds a bit.

You're very lucky, I contacted Stan twice about trading my Mog and chipper for that U20 and chipper. He never bothered to get back to me :thumbdown:

Seems to be a lot of it about recently. Two weeks ago I asked Paul at Overland for their bank details so I could send £11K for a Schliesing. He never called back despite me leaving another eight messages for him!

The recession obviously doesn't apply to some people. :confused1:

Makes you wonder what the after sales care will be like if they are that bad before you even buy from them.

It would be much easier to trade the canter in for a bigger truck than uprate it, even if it is possible.

Towing a chipper doesn't make any difference to how much weight the truck can carry.

Barn doors won't help you either, on a twin rear wheel truck, if the tyre sidewalls are kissing thats a sure sign your overloaded.

One solution is the service I offer of taking all the timber off site FOC. I come along with MB Trac and forwarder which allows sections to be bigger increasing your productivity. IBC containers can be left to chip into and removed with forwarder. Added benefit of MB Trac on site if tree needed to be pulled over. Obviously only works with larger jobs but then thats when you have more chance of being overloaded.