Asian Longhorn Beetle

Gollum

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel sorry for you guys over there. We have had ALB in the States since 1996, and in fact it was found in my state(Ohio) just last summer.

One of the most important things is to educate the average citizen not to move firewood out of an area that has been confirmmed to have ALB, so hopefully your goverment departments in charge of such matters are doing so.

And here is some info on the plants that it is known to attack, in America at least, to give you an idea of just how bad this pest is.

Asian Longhorned Beetle (Anoplophora glabripennis)

Don

Glad that to be of service and help to spread awareness of this little critter, as they said at the talk, its the equivalant of foot and mouth to trees.

Drove past on Monday and see they are already felling along the road. I feel sorry for the home next to the small industrial site. 'Hello, we're going to remove all the trees that screen your house and garden from the ugly buildings and noisy lorries next door and there's nothing you can do about it.

Sure they'll understand.

Lets hope they are right in being confident that they've contained it.

Waz

I am also in the state of Ohio as is DandD75. The infestation is approximately 30 miles from my town. They have been clear cutting in the area of infestation and like mentioned by waz44 an expected outcry from residents has become quite newsworthy. I had heard that a group of citizens had banded together to sue for an injunction on the cutting without permission and think this is in limbo currently.

My town is heavily infested with Emerald ash borer and being more treatable we are either removing dead ash or treating them on a daily basis. Unwelcome income as the whole situation is quite tragic, ash composing approximately 20% of the urban forest. If or when the ALB works it way here one will be hard pressed to find replacement trees that are not on the predators' menu.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Found these the other day

[ATTACH]106736[/ATTACH]

And had no idea what they where but they look quite like the pics on the previous page. These were in the dead wood of a ash that I had to fell last week

How big where they, and are you near any of the confirmed ALB sites? Someone on here may know what they are, but I would be sending a specimen off for ID.

[email protected] A good-quality digital photograph sent with an email notification is welcome as an aid to identification.

'' Suspected sightings of this beetle must be reported to the Fera Plant Health Helpline on 0844 248 0071, providing information about the damage caused, tree species and location. Any specimens of the beetle found must be packed securely in a sturdy container. The beetles are not harmful to humans although they should be handled with care as they can nip the skin.''

Taken from here: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/HCOU-4U4J45

Edited by sloth