How long does your UJ Last on your 90/110/130 land rover

mendiplogs

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put heavy duty ones in last time, not sure whether it'll be much difference but they do look tougher. changed all mine in the past year although I find the one behind the transfer box goes the quickest- i guess it takes the impact first?

HI DRS your right there mate they go on the transfer box on the TD5 there HD ONES and they last a long time on my last 90 was chip to 310lbs TQ and they lasted years jon :thumbup:

How do you know they are going to fail? My 110 has started making some horrid grinding / juddering noise when pulling away. Could this by a UJ on its last legs?

Could be. Get underneath and check for movement at either end of the propshafts. If its really bad you may be able to see its failed. You might get a shudder through the steering wheel if its the front prop, or under accelaration in either case. At least if it is a UJ its a relatively cheap straightforward repair.

How do you know they are going to fail? My 110 has started making some horrid grinding / juddering noise when pulling away. Could this by a UJ on its last legs?

HI TY we just fit new ones when theres very small play in UJ its better then the shaft going bang then it cost more thanks jon :thumbup:

I have a Disco 200, did 274,000 miles with it, never replaced a UJ anywhere.

I now have a TD5 Disco, bought it at 112,000, now done 235,000, never replaced a UJ anywhere.

Wife has a TD5 Defender, 112,000, never done one on that either although we did need to change the rear axle after a diff failure.

My Disco's do a fair bit of work off road but not the extreme off road stuff you get on these rallys. Most days I do two hours of gamekeeping work with it.

A