chain damage

hot logs

Yes it does dull the cutters as has been said. While working on hardwood thinnings for example every tree has some moss around the base and depending on location, ie close to beach where sand gets caught in the moss or up on the hill where the sand didn't reach but there was other dirt in the moss. Where there was sand the chain would dull much quicker than on the hill but in both cases your lucky if you can go the day without having to give the chain a few rubs. I hate having a chain that's not razor sharp though and will give each tooth a rub or 2 after every couple of fills.

It also helps if you cut with the back end of the bar, in other words, star the cut then keep the tip in the same position and work round so that the chain is throwing debris out. If you work the tip of the bar, you are pulling debris into the cut.

If you work the back end of the bar and cut slowly, the shavings throw off and dislodge a lot of the debris before the chain gets to it :001_smile:

Good comment about the sparks seen iffen working in poor light, I became aware of this when cutting in an unlit shed.

Very educational, and I am pernicity about what and where I cut.

In my epxerience Hawthorn is one of the "grittiest" woods I have come across, whether due to birds nesting in, or the age it is likely to be before big enough to be worth cutting for firewood, or dust/grit getting trapped in the many narrow forks?

Especially seasoned Hawthorn:thumbdown:

Pity it is such fine firing though.

Cheers

M

It also helps if you cut with the back end of the bar, in other words, star the cut then keep the tip in the same position and work round so that the chain is throwing debris out. If you work the tip of the bar, you are pulling debris into the cut.

If you work the back end of the bar and cut slowly, the shavings throw off and dislodge a lot of the debris before the chain gets to it :001_smile:

Good tip Dean :thumbup:

I also do this, if there is an area that is cleaner than the rest I will start there and use pushing chain to throw debris away from the cut instead of pulling it in. Also doing a bore cut and then using the same method of pushing or pulling chain to keep the cut clean.