Lumbermate

I've heard good things about the Timberking 1220, if anyone is looking for an alternative.

Alternatively to that, with lower cost manual mills, there isn't much to go wrong - there are literally dozens of US manufacturers that produce bandmills starting at about £2000.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard good things about the Timberking 1220, if anyone is looking for an alternative.

Alternatively to that, with lower cost manual mills, there isn't much to go wrong - there are literally dozens of US manufacturers that produce bandmills starting at about £2000.

The Timberking does look a good start Big J but i would have thought the PEZZOLATO MINI PROFI 1000 on flea-bay was more your style?

My only concern with all these smaller mills is the majority of the wood i want cut is oak and flexing of the blade ends up with a cupped board?

The little Pezzalato does look like a nice mill. I would struggle to work a manual mill now that I have used hydraulic.

Avoiding cupped boards is all about blade alignment and sharp bands. It's not to say I've not cut boards with a cup - I'm still learning (180 machine hours into my Woodmizer) but it's happening a lot less. You have to change the band regularly, whilst it's still cutting OK. One hour in the wood, no more. The cost of resharpening the band is peanuts compared the value of the timber cut.

I didn't have very good experiences with one that was kindly lent to me. I found the quality of the cut to be poor and it blew bands with a frightening regularity. Also, compared to the woodmizer, it's about 5 times slower.

Hi,is it fair to compare the 2000 to an LT40 surely it should be compared to a 15 or the 28

I have bought a lumbermate 2000,saying that not paid for yet I hope to take delivery end of next week and I honestly don't expect it to do the same work as the lt40 but if she can't compete with the lt15 I will be very disappointed.

Edited by welsh wood

Hi,is it fair to compare the 2000 to an LT40 surely it should be compared to a 15 or the 28

I have bought a lumbermate 2000,saying that not paid for yet I hope to take delivery end of next week and I honestly don't expect it to do the same work as the lt40 but if she can't compete with the lt15 I will be very disappointed.

Have you had an LT15 previously? The only Woodmizer I've had is the LT40 and I do fully appreciate that you can't make direct comparisons. When I had the Lumbermate I was more inexperienced with band milling but the band breaking habit is one that is common amongst Lumbermates. It might well be an alignment issue with that machine, but I could be wrong.

When using the Lumbermate, ensure that you are on a very level surface as there is flex in the track, and it's easy to cut bent boards. Also, keep an eye on it as you load the logs, as the machine only weighs 750kg and an enthusiastic log loading can knock it off too.