Our damaged bodies....

Czlowiek Drzewo

My hip on one side needs seeing to.
this tree climbing lark doesn’t half wear you out.

Where did you drag this up from Darrin....
Since this thread began I’ve found I’m riddled with osteoarthritis it my feet hands,back and hips ,carpel tunnel , tennis elbow , torn rotator cuff injury still playing up... and I’m 41 I think by 60 I will be in a wheel chair... the result of 25 years of Arb and hand cutting, my advice to any one who wants to get in to this industry... don’t.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am now 58  ...been at it since 1986 ( last century !!!? )  mostly climbing , often more than 5 days a week ,  only part time now but all is fine .....can do a good days work , two in a row feels tough at times , rarely do a full week , no need to , I have all I want , house paid off etc ,life is good  , my hobby life has always been quite physical as well !

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MattyF said:

Where did you drag this up from Darrin....
Since this thread began I’ve found I’m riddled with osteoarthritis it my feet hands,back and hips ,carpel tunnel , tennis elbow , torn rotator cuff injury still playing up... and I’m 41 I think by 60 I will be in a wheel chair... the result of 25 years of Arb and hand cutting, my advice to any one who wants to get in to this industry... don’t.

Found it while looking for advice  on hip injury.

here’s hoping for miracle cures.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MattyF said:

You try telling the youth of today , they won't believe you ?

• Haha 2

43. Really feeling it this year.
Last year no problem, up and down the country, 12 hours a day blah blah.
Now both wrists ache, right shoulder aches, back is getting abused, left eye sees lights, 9 fingers,
Lots of scars and now my greying hair is receding.
[emoji51]

10 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

43. Really feeling it this year.
Last year no problem, up and down the country, 12 hours a day blah blah.
Now both wrists ache, right shoulder aches, back is getting abused, left eye sees lights, 9 fingers,
Lots of scars and now my greying hair is receding.
emoji51.png

at least you will get rid of your grey hair if recedes far enough mate..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 7 months later...

Just read this thread from start to finish and it is fairly horrific. A warning for all you younger ones to take more care but you never listen as I never did, such is the invincibility of youth!

I have had a lifetime of farming and am now 66.  In the bad old days everything was unloaded from lorries by hand and all sacks of potatoes and fertiliser were 1 cwt or 50 kilos.  Some corn sacks weighed twice that but they had to be put on your shoulders with a sack lift barrow.

Had a bad bout of lower back trouble in my late twenties.  Played a lot of league hockey and nearly seized up after the game and after the bar, could hardly exit the car when I came home.

I decided in 2000 in my mid 40s to just do a 3.5 mile bike ride around the block each day before work so that the system was warmed up before work.  There are a couple of steep hills to make the heart pump faster.  I needed some good weather gear to keep it up every day, but now having gone around the World, 24 thousand miles, (3.5 miles a day, 1200 miles a year for 20 years), I have not had the bad backs that left me needing a walking stick for a week or two when I was younger.

On another note I have been doing more and more chainsaw work since 1993 with few problems till this year when I have started to have arthritic type problems in both wrists.  My right wrist is far worse which is strange since I am totally left handed and operate a chainsaw with left hand on the trigger.  I can operate right handed which I had to do to gain my certificates but I was just wondering if any of you right handers with the same problems feel it more in your left hand because that hand is pushing harder perhaps and feeling the vibration a little more

• Like 1