Our damaged bodies....

Czlowiek Drzewo

Left shoulder shot, right shoulder on its way out. Couple of fused vertabrae in my back which lead to issues with the neck and upper back muscles. Busted toes, hamstrings and glutes on the right leg popped a couple of years ago and now cramp up after sitting for about five minutes. Left leg got smashed by a branch when I was about 19 so now it doesn't bend or move properly. Dead hands at night (cause yet to be determined) and pins and needles. Mind you, I still get up every morning and thrash my body yet again and I enjoy (almost) every moment of it. I can also say from experience that if I wasn't doing that I'd be in a lot worse shape as everything would just seize up.

Got another mans knee ligaments in my right knee (knee turned 180 degrees when i hit a tree down hill biking). Partially disclocating right hip when getting out of the back of the work trucks, tennis elbow when spraying long distances or large areas, damaged left shoulder rotator cuff caused by a previous colleague letting go of rope when tree went the wrong way but would have sat in another tree. Only 22 as well.

• Sad 1

Not too many probs caused by the work, but a few old ones coming home to roost as the years pass by.

I caught hepatitis in the late 80s (same time as Russell Harty died from it) so very relieved it was a 'mild' one from swimming in the Thames. Have to be careful with fat and alcohol).

Knackered back - started by labouring job many years before.

Currently awaiting op to re-connect rotator cuff muscle in shoulder (skiiing fall).

Only tree induced injury was a torn calf muscle, over extending in a willow.

Have a few silky smiles on my fingers and loss of feeling in one finger.

Currently having murmurings from centre of chest when I exert myself - waiting to see cardiologist.

Having said all that, like so many above, I couold NEVER go back to a desk job - at worst I'll hobble around dragging what brrushwood I can and do all the quote visits etc. till I die. (Hopefully that will be some time - too busy to sit around fretting)

Like Steve Tyler sang.. 'I just wanna live while I'm alive'

• 7 years later...