Grabbing brash

Dean Lofthouse

I have this to grab brash and logs, it does really well grabbing big stems but on smaller diameter stuff it doesn't,t close enough and when grabbing brash it,s useless.

Does anyone use a log grab on theirs with rotator and how do they find it.

Would it grab a stem end on to hold it straight out infront and how do they cope with brash

It's fully closed in the photo BTW

5ce8c81b-c038-1c2a.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow that stays open really far. Never seen any type of grab like that. You sure it's closing all the way?

I would manufacture something to make the grab longer. Maybe a bolt on system that can be removed when not needed.

But then o like to over engineer stuff and spend ages on a workshop until equipment is just right.

Well I can see two possibles.

1. Make extensions for the teeth that fold back so when you drive into brash they fold in towards the machine then whe you reverse out they lock forward. This would be a pain for tipping tho.

2. Move the end position of the ram back so it closes the teeth. This should help but without looking at the grab not sure how much it would effect the opening of the grab. The gap should stay the same measurement wise so it will open and close the same but it should close better.

this is sold in uk by allbut Albutt Timber Grapple - NEW along with other good bits! K.T.S Arm Grapple is the grapple use with either 3 point linkage or front loader, I would hope you could adapt existing clamp to contain brash by ? revising mounting point of ram or clamp. I have adapted a bobcat grab bucket to fit our mini tractor to do a similar job ( cant find pics of it though, ugh )

Either a two stage ram (if you can find one to fit but doubt it) or weld another pair of pin holes brackets closer to the ram? Make it so the pin can be swapped between the two positions depending on what your handling with it.

Either a two stage ram (if you can find one to fit but doubt it) or weld another pair of pin holes brackets closer to the ram? Make it so the pin can be swapped between the two positions depending on what your handling with it.

Just what I was going to say, weld a braced rod with an eye at right angles to the top of the grab, fit an adjustable pin and the grab will close much tighter.

Or if you want to achieve a wider opening as well fit two rods with a hinge between them..:001_smile:

This is more the kind of thing I was thinking, replace the whole lot with something like this, but it would need to be able to pick up stems end on as well

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEKJNW8GPU&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Branch Manager Landscape grapple prototype1V1 - YouTube[/ame]