whats you opinion please aldi axe

predator

Should splitting mauls be sharp ?

Well I'm glad someone (else!) has asked at last! I've had a 6.25lb Faithfull splitting maul for about 8 years and have never touched the blade; it works fine. I was planning on carrying on that way, the thinking being that the blunter the edge the less chance of sticking the axe an inch into a tough lump; either the lump will split or the axe won't penetrate.

A darned fine question A!

as seen on the video, the heads are poorly manufactured. I would steer clear of fibreglass handles, they degrade in time and fall apart, not worth the extra expense. A well maintained wooden shaft (not varnished, but treated with linseed oil) will keep it's strength and flexibility for years, and replacements are available everywhere, or you could even make your own. personally, if you wish to save a few quid, go around garage sales, boot sales and pick up a head for around 50p, fit a good quality wooden handle and learn to use it properly, it will last you years. Don't leave it out in the rain, don't leave it stuck in a log, wipe and oil it before putting it away.

Just pulled in one of those Fiskars X27 from the US - nice bit of kit, the head is about 1/3 a maul and is teflon coated, it either splits the wood first hit or allows a very easy removal on the rare occasion it doesn't split.

You gets what you pay for in life.

I know guys who used to get a new maul and spend 15 mins cutting bricks to blunt it.

I like mine sharp though!

I've heard about doing this. Puts a blunt edge on them, mauls are not ment to be sharp as they are not ment to cut into the timber like a felling axe but there design is to push the timber apart.

I have one of these axes and I found it good. Not as good as some of the bigger ones. Use it for the small rings. One hit and it's done. Can use one handed or two, it's just the right size for me to allow it.

Had one of these mauls about 3 years and split about 20 ton o logs up to now, got about another 10 to go at and never had a problem. The thing is with aldi there is good mixed with the shite, give it a good look over before you buy it.the one in the video is prob the end of the line or the last out of the ladle so contaminated . mine is spotless and straight as a die .."cheap as chips is sometimes better than a fancy name:thumbup:

Just pulled in one of those Fiskars X27 from the US - nice bit of kit, the head is about 1/3 a maul and is teflon coated, it either splits the wood first hit or allows a very easy removal on the rare occasion it doesn't split.

You gets what you pay for in life.

Got the x25 and more recently the x27........superb splitters/mauls....wouldn't use anything else....... apart from my hakki pilke eagle :001_tt2:

That's not a review; it's an advertisement!

He's a bit off the mark speculating that the Chinese guy who made it got paid as much as 3 quid (or 3 euros). The pay of the workers is a tiny fraction of the final price, most of it being middlemens' markup and tax.

Also, it is just me, or is he really really creepy?