Toxic trees

David Humphries

A thread to place information about trees that we come into contact with, that have health implications.

There was a recent thread on the effects of fig trees,

but i thought perhaps a single thread to keep them at hand as a heads up.

This recently occured to one of our team members.

Umbellularia californica aka Californian bay laurel, Headache tree.

I've known (and suffered from) it inducing headaches whilst working on and crushing the leaves, but I didn't know that the leaf oil can be volatile & toxic especially when exposed to the sun.

The team were removing a few of the ones in the shot below and had eye protection, gloves & face masks on to guard against the scent issue but being a sunny day, this was the result of wearing t-shirts.

Be advised to cover up !

IMG_0988.JPG.5cd8b46c515f2f938f2f8ad72856feda.JPG

P3060022.JPG.f4e772eb8e1ca5221e7b11dcb97c90c4.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG.62f540d2c2c03de64439369628253fa5.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG.5baa6dbeae6569e51f1eadbeb743cc92.JPG

P3060025.JPG.f9b4694853c0acf61d3eb30ef0441fce.JPG

P3060024.JPG.979fca73162d8228389adbfe916d02a0.JPG

P3060023.JPG.1b4b41db3a272f30f13bc3af95bc75f4.JPG

P3060021.JPG.f0cf6d3f3afc4cd54da108c8485c68d3.JPG

Umbellularia_californica_02.jpg.e88b866fcd2ad8e660fa3f85f66af4db.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg.a5f3e6cd09f8df6a8708da844c480759.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thread to place information about trees that we come into contact with, that have health implications. Be advised to cover up !

The same thing happens after skin contact with the sap while pruning branches of Sumak species such as Rhus thyphina and R. radicans.

The same thing happens after skin contact with the sap while pruning branches of Sumak species such as Rhus thyphina and R. radicans.

Beat me to it.

Not a tree but a common plant - the milky sap of euphorbia (the English version being spurge) has a similar effect. Often found in dry soil under trees.

Beat me to it.

Not a tree but a common plant - the milky sap of euphorbia (the English version being spurge) has a similar effect. Often found in dry soil under trees.

Yes mate, my daughter suffers from those, she brushed against a cut stem at her Grandparents place on a sunny day with similar results to the previous pics. Can be quite nasty. Giant hogweed does the same to me...

Thanks Gerrit/Jon

Anyone care to share images of any injuries from Rhus or Euphorbia?

(to general membership) .

Sorry, don't have any pics; I haven't had an outbreak in years! I suppose I could try and induce one when the sun comes out... I may have been lucky but I seem to remember that there was no discomfort, just a bright red weal.

Jon