Toxic trees

David Humphries

Chinese Varnish Tree (the clue being in the botanicla name of Toxicodendron vernicifluum) was reported a few years ago in the HSE bulletin below and causes very similar phytotoxic reactions as above.

One to steer clear of..!

Paul

PS London PLane leaf hairs, in early summer, and Leylandii sap can also be problematic.

Funny you should mention leyladii,whilst cutting the gob out of a 60 footer yesterday morning the 'water' from it was pouring out of my saw and onto the leg of my stihl trousers,it soaked through quickly,and last night i noticed my leg was all red.Going back to normal now,and have asked mrs oldwoodcutter to wash my hiflexes over easter.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

V. rhytidophyllum is the worst plant I have come across to put through a chipper: the dust generated is way more irritant than that from either Buddleia or ivy. Definitely stand upwind.

Hello,

Last week a client asked us if we could chip a few shrubs whilst during a spruce take down.

ARGH! It was as though I had a heavy cold and conjunctivitis with a handfull of itching powder down my shirt! :confused1:

My nose was like a running tap of snot for about 2 hours.

I quickly found the cause...:sneaky2:

The client, so we got him to chip the rest!

Later, he dug up the root and swore never to plant it again.:thumbup:

Ty

Not really a tree but twice now I've cut down Agave americana (a type of succulent most definately not to be confused with Aloe) and I've never known itching like it. I cut the stuff down with a chainsaw and splattered the sap all over me. Spent half an hour in the shower and a week covered in little blisters.

We have similar reactions to Brazilian pepper trees over here in Florida, same family as

Poison Ivey, and the mango tree as well. The pitch or sap go's right through most clothing. You have to hope that your not allergic otherwise you may end up in the hospital. Not the best way to spend the day outside to work.

easy-lift guy

Not really a tree but twice now I've cut down Agave americana (a type of succulent most definately not to be confused with Aloe) and I've never known itching like it. I cut the stuff down with a chainsaw and splattered the sap all over me. Spent half an hour in the shower and a week covered in little blisters.

The juices from this plant are extremely alkaline:thumbdown:, if you ever encounter this material in the future you need to alter the ph. ASAP. I recommend if handy using citrus juice say from a lemon or lime if there are any near by, the Acid will counter act the juices and balance the ph to normal pretty quick. Usually no blisters or scaring afterwards as well, as long as treatment follows contact fast.:thumbup1:. Make sure you also have a fresh change of clothes for afterwards.

easy-lift guy