poem

i think elm burns crap........all i used to burn on my fire took about 3 hours to evan get any heat out of it and even then you had to sit an inch away from the fire to get some warmth.........not nice to split either.

burn a lot of ash green or dry though!

I've never subscribed to that poem. Ash is good sure. But Elm will melt your radiators, Oak needs about 3 years to dry properly, and Alder makes one of the best firewoods possible.

I got this from somewhere, I think from France, I have found it to pretty accurate, I think the references to flame are for cooking purposes.

The wood is assumed to be dry and seasoned.

Alder

A poor fuel, it burns quickly but gives off little heat.

Apple

A good fuel, it burns slowly and gives off a good heat. It is ideal for cooking as it gives off little flame and produces a pleasent smell.

Ash

One of the best burning woods. Produces both heat and flame, and will also burn well when green.

Beech

Like Ash, it produces both heat and flame, though it does not burn as well when green. It also has a tendency to spark

Birch

Produces good heat but burns quickly.

Blackthorn

Burns slowly, with lots of heat and little smoke.

Cedar

Good for cooking as it gives lots of heat with little flame, and has a pleasant smell.

Cherry

Burns slowly and with lots of heat.

Douglas Fir

Produces little flame or heat

Elder

Burns quickly and with little heat. Is very smokey.

Elm

Slow burning but may smoke. Burns poorly unless seasoned.

Hawthorn

Burns slowly with lots of heat and little smoke.

Hazel

A good fuel.

Holly

Good when seasoned.

Hornbeam

Another good fuel.

Horse chestnut

Produces both heat and flame, but tends to spit a lot.

Larch

Fairly good for heat.

Laurel

Produces a good flame

Lime

A poor fuel

Maple

A good fuel

Oak

Produces little flame and an acrid smoke but is a very slow burning fuel which give off lots of heat.

Pear

Produces good heat

Pine

Burns well but tends to spit. The resinous wood makes good kindling.

Poplar

A mediocre fuel.

Spruce

Burns very quickly and sparks badly.

Sycamore

Burns well but generates only moderate heat.

Walnut

A good fuel

Willow

A poor wood. Is completely useless when green.

Yew

Burns slowly and with a fierce heat.

ive burnt green ash with no problems in my wood burner. ive burnt silver birch with the ash and they burnt at similar speeds. silver birch is a very good wood which can be burnt green. surely all wood burns if it is seasoned?

My thoughts also. All wood burns well seasoned. Yew is amazing, when seasoned, it burns like anthracite coal.

And I disagree on the Alder. Alder was used to make charcoal for the finest gunpowder, and when seasoned makes excellent firewood.

The french wording is:

Un carburant pauvre, il brûle rapidement mais diffuse la petite chaleur.

I may have got it wrong in translation, I don't recall ever having burned Alder - not knowingly anyway, so I may have got it wrong!

My thoughts also. All wood burns well seasoned. Yew is amazing, when seasoned, it burns like anthracite coal.

And I disagree on the Alder. Alder was used to make charcoal for the finest gunpowder, and when seasoned makes excellent firewood.

Thats interesting Ed,we take out quite a few evergreen alders...