Going it alone info please...?

lum8erjack

Driving prices up at a time when competition is so great is a dangerous method though. You might make more on the jobs you get but could be losing out overall from jobs you don't get. As much as I'd like it to work as we'd all get paid more, I think it would do the opposite and give more work to the cowboys. Fools are cheap, good businessman are competitive ... expensive limits you to number of willing customers.

I agree but if everyone put prices up it would be better.

You must surely agree that we are grossly underpaid compared to other trades if you take into account hours worked, physical effort, operating costs, danger.

Are we in danger of slipping toward the realms of cartels and price fixing here?

One of the fundamantal differences between us and other 'professional trades' is the public perception of the legislation and how it applies to them as well as the tradesman.

A person using a plumber has Gas Safe, (formerly Corgi), an electrician has NICEIC approval. They also have a better understanding of the direct risks to them and their lives/property if the tradesman screws up. I.e. gas explosion or electricution.

They, the clients, are generally not as well informed as to the value of using a reputable tree surgery company. As with other trades, the less competent often get away with poor work practices and standards without issues arising. Often the value of using someone reputable only becomes apparent when something goes wrong. Of course, it's a bit late then if they have opted for the less reputable, (not always cheaper), operator.

Also, a big snotty takedown in a restricted back garden will cost as much as a new bathroom. The client will appreciate the money spent on his/her bathroom every day. Once the big snotty tree has gone the only reminder is some sawdust in the borders and a big hole in their bank account.

Back to the thread. We use all of the aforementioned type of tip sites as well as blowing the stuff roadside when possible. If you have to pay for your yard space then collecting it to sell on is often not viable. If you work from a farm you might talk to the farmer and use a silage clamp and he can sell it to the biomass folk. Also, there are a number of older threads on Arbtalk covering this stuff so you might want to do a search.

keep a tight rein on your cashflow.

that was our worst problem ( and still is )

the best jobs are the ones where you get paid at the end of the day.

we're only a small firm, one tree team, one landscaping team, and two lady gardeners.

on average we're owed about £5,000.

never had any BAD payers, just seem to run around chasing cash alot of the time.

no matter how much you emphasise (spellcheck please ) IMMEDIATE PAYMENT, the larger firms pay when they're ready.

price accordingly

keep a tight rein on your cashflow.

that was our worst problem ( and still is )

the best jobs are the ones where you get paid at the end of the day.

we're only a small firm, one tree team, one landscaping team, and two lady gardeners.

on average we're owed about £5,000.

never had any BAD payers, just seem to run around chasing cash alot of the time.

no matter how much you emphasise (spellcheck please ) IMMEDIATE PAYMENT, the larger firms pay when they're ready.

price accordingly

I think you're doing really well to have only £5000 owed

Mines about average 4 times that

It all gets paid eventually so no point in falling out about it

Bird in the hand being better than 2 in the bush

I agree with mark on the not cutting 5 days a week. I'm about to start my 3rd year and I think my own jobs I could do 2 or 3 days a week currently if work stays as it is. And that would be going good too.

Maybe find someone else who can share the cost and you may have a better firm from the start.

Driving prices up at a time when competition is so great is a dangerous method though. You might make more on the jobs you get but could be losing out overall from jobs you don't get. As much as I'd like it to work as we'd all get paid more, I think it would do the opposite and give more work to the cowboys. Fools are cheap, good businessman are competitive ... expensive limits you to number of willing customers.

No it doesn't work like that, in fact I've found it works in the opposite direction. I don't wish to work for those that will quibble over a fivers difference any more, I'll leave tha hassle for the students, and those doing a cash job on the way home from their company work with the company kit, because I can't compete on their terms. So I lose a couple of hundred here and there, but I will gain a thousand or so elsewhere, easier to do one biggish job than 5 little ones.

"expensive limits you to number of willing customers" yes, it will, I don't wish to work for unwilling customers!

In reality, wages have not increased in this trade for many years, in fact I am disgusted by the fact that manŷ still pay what I was on 10-15years ago!! Fuel has gone through the roof, vehicle running costs are way bigger, but everyone is happy to live on 90s incomes? I don't think so!!