PTO logsplitter problem

caveman

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys.

Oddly enough the power of the splitter went up after the oil & filter got changed. The oil I'm thinking of was the fist lot through it from new. if it makes any difference.

I'll check the colour of the present oil next time it's out in daylight.

It's stored under cover (barn cum shippon entry), and doesn't come out if it's raining.

Every days a school day!

Edited by treedave

The machine doesn’t have to be stored outside to get water in the oil. The oil reservoir has a breather to allow for the expansion as the oil warms and cools. Water condenses on the sides and top of the tank and gets into the oil.

Andy

A bit like my shipping container :001_smile:

Put the tractor away after using it for a few hours and it was raining inside the container when I opened it the next day.

Need some of that spray foam insulation on the ceiling me thinks

Just service at the proper intervals if it's used regular.

The problem what Andy describes is when the oil is warm, as it cools it shrinks and draws a small amount of cold damp air in thru the vent which then condenses on the tank insides. If regular maintenance is carried out you don't need to worry about this.

On a new machine, during manufacture there is likely to be minute bits of metal in the system obviously from the manufacturing process so it is recommended that you change the filter after 10 hours or so.

Tends to get used in blocks, then sit for months. Will probably get used less with the processor turning up today:001_tt1:, but I've still got a big pile of oversized oak to breakdown.

Time to check the colour and get some spares in:sneaky2:

Cheers again