Massey 3065

Dts trees

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32-speed 3000 series best avoided - years ago I worked for a dealership and there was a 16-speed conversion kit on a single part number. That gives an idea as to how bad they were.

As others have said, to 300 series is good, but there's a spring that fails and it's the last thing that comes out of the box. I replaced one under warranty on a forestry model 390T & the job took more than a week (about a day longer than a standard model).

The 40/50 series John Deere's aren't as suited to loader work as other brands- the clutched wore out quicker than other makes on similar work, and they didn't have a shuttle box. That said, the 2140 4x4 was an awesome piece of kit. If you look at one & the rear link arms judder as they lift, the hydraulic pump needs a rebuild

If it's 4x4 you want, try and find something with a ZF front axle. They were fitted to Ford/JD/Case(?).

Despite the lack of ZF axle and severe rusting problems, the best tractor I ever ran was a Massey 698T (admittedly in agriculture). The front axles leaked almost from new, so most have liquid grease in them. Simple driveline, solid motor and the turbos were pretty good too

32-speed 3000 series best avoided - years ago I worked for a dealership and there was a 16-speed conversion kit on a single part number. That gives an idea as to how bad they were.

As others have said, to 300 series is good, but there's a spring that fails and it's the last thing that comes out of the box. I replaced one under warranty on a forestry model 390T & the job took more than a week (about a day longer than a standard model).

The 40/50 series John Deere's aren't as suited to loader work as other brands- the clutched wore out quicker than other makes on similar work, and they didn't have a shuttle box. That said, the 2140 4x4 was an awesome piece of kit. If you look at one & the rear link arms judder as they lift, the hydraulic pump needs a rebuild

If it's 4x4 you want, try and find something with a ZF front axle. They were fitted to Ford/JD/Case(?).

Despite the lack of ZF axle and severe rusting problems, the best tractor I ever ran was a Massey 698T (admittedly in agriculture). The front axles leaked almost from new, so most have liquid grease in them. Simple driveline, solid motor and the turbos were pretty good too

HI MATE 12 speed no good but the 3 stick is a very good tractor just keep looking for a good one jon :thumbup:

HI MATE 12 speed no good but the 3 stick is a very good tractor just keep looking for a good one jon :thumbup:

With you 100% on that :thumbup1:

Another consideration is the cost of a new roof. Most modern tractors have a 2-piece plastic roof (inner and outer), and it's quite common to find damage ones on S/H tractors. Sometimes they put a new outer shell on to hide the damage, but water still finds it's way in. These are very expensive to replace, so it's that or live with a damp cab. At least a tin top like the Sankey on the MF200 series or the AP cab on 10 series Fords can be beaten back into shape.

Wow i didn't know about the 3050 was no good for the loader. This dealer is also selling a 2650 so are these any good?. So you all reckon the 390 is one to go with with three sticks. what about the Massey 699? :thumbup:

HI MAGGIE ref 2650 thats a jon deere yes/no good tractors a mate has a jon and just a small 75hp one off the woods good tractor but parts cost 699 was good but the cab rust out and look out non muti power as if in low muti power it will run away on hills no engine brakes just try and look out for a good 390 or 390t or 399 i will keep a look out for you mate i had the some when looking for a mf 390 in the end i got a 399 very on dev and a 2ton loader and it been a good tractor all the best jon :thumbup: