Premature barrel wear?

AndyBev

Hi guys,

Have any of you experienced premature engine wear on the low emission Husqvarna saws? I'm told they're only lasting a year or so in my area (very hot, sandy & dusty). something to do with them recycling the exhaust gases?

Cheers, Andy

Hi . I know nothing of your problem but the coditions you are working in seem perfect for engine ware . I am in the u.k. but my bro lives in the bush about 45mins from Perth and it kinda sandy/ dutsy there . Just replying cos no one else had !

Husky do manufacture three types of filter for some saws - flock, 40 micron and 80 micron. You could try the 80 micron or flock filter if your saw has a 40 micron on it.

I have only seen one saw with the plating worn off and this was a Stihl 024 on the inlet side and reckon it had ingested sawdust through the steel gauze filter.

The Husky air injection system does work pretty well.

As steve (spud) has said you could try the heavyer filter . I don't think the air injection has anything to do with the exhaust gases though . As I understand it it drags clean air in through the stater cover and blastes it to the filter separating the dust with the centrifugal force . There are several vids showing how better they cope against a Stihl . check em out .

As steve (spud) has said you could try the heavyer filter . I don't think the air injection has anything to do with the exhaust gases though . As I understand it it drags clean air in through the stater cover and blastes it to the filter separating the dust with the centrifugal force . There are several vids showing how better they cope against a Stihl . check em out .

Yes, the air injection is the way the rotating flywheel fins produce a vortex that filters out the dust and only channels clean air in to the air box.

I am unaware of exhaust gases being used to clean air, the closest this gets is the flap generally in the top cover that directs hot air from the cylinder in to the air box.

Husky do manufacture three types of filter for some saws - flock, 40 micron and 80 micron. You could try the 80 micron or flock filter if your saw has a 40 micron on it.

I have only seen one saw with the plating worn off and this was a Stihl 024 on the inlet side and reckon it had ingested sawdust through the steel gauze filter.

The Husky air injection system does work pretty well.

If there's a problem with dust, why on earth would someone want to go from a 40 micron filter to an 80 micron filter? 40 micron filters filter out particles as small as 40 microns, whereas 80 micron filters filter out particles only as small as 80 microns. This is standard filter terminology - spec'd by the size of particle they filter.

Edited by Pedroski

If there's a problem with dust, why on earth would someone want to go from a 40 micron filter to an 80 micron filter? 40 micron filters filter out particles as small as 40 microns, whereas 80 micron filters filter out particles only as small as 80 microns. This is standard filter terminology - spec'd by the size of particle they filter.

Well spotted - I meant go from an 80 micron to 40 micron and not the other way round - long day, early start and 300 miles driving, not good:thumbdown:

Well spotted - I meant go from an 80 micron to 40 micron and not the other way round - long day, early start and 300 miles driving, not good:thumbdown:

I know how you feel. It's been a mental week for me. Today was one of those days where we have a 5 day job which we get finished half day early, then instead of going home we do a 2 half day jobs in the remaining half a day :thumbdown: .

Them flock filters, they filter down to 30 micron according to Husky product support, and are probably what would be best for AndyBev.

http://husqvarna.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/628/~/product-support---what-does-44%E2%B5-and-80%E2%B5-mean-when-i-look-up-my-air-filter%3F

Edited by Pedroski

I know how you feel. It's been a mental week for me. Today was one of those days where we have a 5 day job which we get finished half day early, then instead of going home we do a 2 half day jobs in the remaining half a day :thumbdown: .

Them flock filters, they filter down to 30 micron according to Husky product support, and are probably what would be best for AndyBev.

Product support - What does 44µ and 80µ mean when I look up my air filter?

Yes, agree but they are a bit of a mother to clean unlike the nylon mesh ones that come up good as gold each time but for longevity of the cylinder, probably the best choice. Had one on my 345 and it never seemed to hold it back:thumbup:

Thanks for the replies. Conditions are less than ideal; I'm more used to cutting in wet environments (Devon/Cornwall/Vancouver Island)

I was asking because I'm in the market for a new saw. I've always preferred Huskys, but heard they weren't lasting, and Stihl customer service is far better in town. As it is, I've just purchased a new Stihl 381 ($50 more than a Farm Boss). This is for firewood, but the timber is harder than hell & I've already discovered that a smaller saw struggles in this environment.

From what I've read, the 381 might not be the most modern design, but should last forever. When I finally escape Western Australia, it will be put to real use...