• 2 hours
    • 8 hours
    • All day
    • A week
    • One month
    • Three months
    • A year or more

Question

Grows Conks Phaeolus schweinitzii - Dyer's Mazegill both sides at base. see pict 1.

Leans greater than 15 degrees towards the neighbours house. see pict 2 & 3

Has over last month developed long extra stems emanating from base. see pict 4

Bark bursting away from trunk with black stuff behind it. see pict 5

Mushrooms growing from roots? see pict 6

Branches falling at regular intervals some very large!

90 foot high Close to Large Lawsonia confer age in access of 30 years.

First aid or apply to have it removed??

Wot think thee?:confused1:

59765ff93aaba_Pict6.jpg.94a9bdf6e27dbfd91af42b5906edc434.jpg

59765ff9387c4_Pict5.JPG.488e60d2d4feb8e97a4ed6d8009e758c.JPG

59765ff931ed0_Pict4.jpg.1debe41d88dfecf9ae33b76ed4038875.jpg

59765ff9304ff_Pict3.JPG.742c265500e11642925282a5551b5813.JPG

59765ff92e7a1_Pict2.jpg.01fb8ae36fb46b1983f7dad9039ba51e.jpg

59765ff92cd25_Pict1.jpg.a8df81422aaa56e7f33aa2c702654089.jpg

• Answers 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think Parametrics does have a clue, but he was asking for expert advice,(which he got)

But I knew sooner or later someone would start throwing out unwarranted insults because

dared to have a (valid) opinion on reducing Scots Pines. You do not need to be an Arboromaculturalist to figure out the flaw in reducing those.

I think Parametrics does have a clue, but he was asking for expert advice,(which he got)

But I knew sooner or later someone would start throwing out unwarranted insults because

dared to have a (valid) opinion on reducing Scots Pines. You do not need to be an Arboromaculturalist to figure out the flaw in reducing those.

I wasnt insulting anyone, hence the smily!

as for the invalidity of reduction to scots pines, that is UTTER rubbish.

I know all about phaeolus shweinitzii, a biotrophic parasite of the heart wood. which in the case of scotts pine is a lot slower and less traumatic than on say larix decidua. especialy when vitality is high (see mycorrhizea):001_tt2:

a well considered reduction could see this tree retained for at least a decade probably longer, there is no serious die back or thinning of the foliage yet, another indication that the decay is yet to reach its full capaity and into extensive volumes of the root system.

Do not try to tell me:001_rolleyes:

but given the situation/context I would reccomend removal and replacement with the SAME species

I wish I could show you what I mean, I,m doing another video soon which will show a leafy suburb full of mature 30m oaks, beech and pines meters away from buildings and extending over them, really makes things tricky when having to carry out dead woods and reduction work, these estates are some of the most desirable places to live, the green monuments make the area.

CO2....... green? I know what your getting at but for me it's more about the architecture of these living structures for me, they are older than us and our fathers and an important part of our landscape including urban and just as important as man made structures.

At the end of the day I,m not an educated guy, just a humble climber who loves trees.

But I.m also telling you, your tree more than likely has to go because of the problems you have shown and its location, if it was in your back garden and away from targets I,d probably try to tell you to keep it.

Points taken...I agree and understand. The main worry is the damage or worse to the neighbours. If someone gets killed it will be on my head.

I wasnt insulting anyone, hence the smily!

as for the invalidity of reduction to scots pines, that is UTTER rubbish.

I know all about phaeolus shweinitzii, a biotrophic parasite of the heart wood. which in the case of scotts pine is a lot slower and less traumatic than on say larix decidua. especialy when vitality is high (see mycorrhizea):001_tt2:

a well considered reduction could see this tree retained for at least a decade probably longer, there is no serious die back or thinning of the foliage yet, another indication that the decay is yet to reach its full capaity and into extensive volumes of the root system.

Do not try to tell me:001_rolleyes:

but given the situation/context I would reccomend removal and replacement with the SAME species

A reduction may be what the Tree Officer will recommend. I hope to ensure that he does no such thing because the problem, as I see it, is simply deferred to a later date. I have to him no quarter on this, ie he comes up with my preferred option without ado.

I do not agree with your idea of replacing it with another Scots pine which I believe is valueless and only becomes interesting/impressive at the age this one is now. How about and ornamental cherry?

Points taken...I agree and understand. The main worry is the damage or worse to the neighbours. If someone gets killed it will be on my head.

That last part is something the industry at large is trying hard to eradicate, Your doing what you need to do to avoid being hung drawn and quartered in court, the advice that you need to follow and given thus far is solid and to re iterate those points...

1) Phaeolus schweinitzii is a known principal decay fungi of the roots and butt.

3) the tree is leaning toward and within reach of property (though likley to do minimal damage to house and even more unlikely to kill)

4) a written notice of intent sent to council TO giving 7 days notice should already be on route or emailed.

5) that this tree will cost between 350 and 650 as a rough estimate and take a day to complete depending on the firms individual setups team numbers.

6) that you will have the backing of many of us should you in the very unlikely event of a prosecution for felling a protected tree.

A reduction may be what the Tree Officer will recommend. I hope to ensure that he does no such thing because the problem, as I see it, is simply deferred to a later date. I have to him no quarter on this, ie he comes up with my preferred option without ado.

I do not agree with your idea of replacing it with another Scots pine which I believe is valueless and only becomes interesting/impressive at the age this one is now. How about and ornamental cherry?

did you move to this area and think its a nice place to live? do you not feel any empathy for the ecosystem that your house partly if not entirely displaced?

if i was your TO i would meet your view halfway, and acept the long term fell option, BUT like you standing firm on your YOUR view on the fell, would maintain MY view that YOU must replace with what existed before:biggrin: