• 2 hours
    • 8 hours
    • All day
    • A week
    • One month
    • Three months
    • A year or more

Question

Grows Conks Phaeolus schweinitzii - Dyer's Mazegill both sides at base. see pict 1.

Leans greater than 15 degrees towards the neighbours house. see pict 2 & 3

Has over last month developed long extra stems emanating from base. see pict 4

Bark bursting away from trunk with black stuff behind it. see pict 5

Mushrooms growing from roots? see pict 6

Branches falling at regular intervals some very large!

90 foot high Close to Large Lawsonia confer age in access of 30 years.

First aid or apply to have it removed??

Wot think thee?:confused1:

59765ff93aaba_Pict6.jpg.94a9bdf6e27dbfd91af42b5906edc434.jpg

59765ff9387c4_Pict5.JPG.488e60d2d4feb8e97a4ed6d8009e758c.JPG

59765ff931ed0_Pict4.jpg.1debe41d88dfecf9ae33b76ed4038875.jpg

59765ff9304ff_Pict3.JPG.742c265500e11642925282a5551b5813.JPG

59765ff92e7a1_Pict2.jpg.01fb8ae36fb46b1983f7dad9039ba51e.jpg

59765ff92cd25_Pict1.jpg.a8df81422aaa56e7f33aa2c702654089.jpg

• Answers 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Wonder if an arbtalk thread would be an accepted defence in court? :)

At the end of the day it's the targets that mean this tree should must come down, ticking time bomb isn't everything these days.

Find a competent tree works company explain the situation and go with their opinion, and for god sake put them ladders away removing limbs will not help and could possibly make things worse!

GOOD ADVICE... bit dangerous ladders unless you can tie them down..

EXactly my point mate you are spot on.>> This is a poll of peoples personal opinion usually from their own personal experience...It also has the public view/stance who have to go through planning...It is becoming clear that from the results that we all seem to be in the same boat with these tree restrictions and sadly around here they seriously would rather a few motorists died first before lobbing a few branches...With regards to actually cutting the tree down its a matter of safety, type of equipement, preparedness and the speed you want to run your life. If I was a tree surgeon I would not want to cut this monster down and also have in the back of my head the thought that.... I have got to get 30 miles up the road to do another..

Lobbing off branches do not save lives, trees are not great evil monster killers, tree safety requires an in depth knowledge and not merely battering them in half or back. for most here that tree is a fairly straight forward job and not actually overly big, sure it's big enough.

I can see from your view point as in your mindset being your not an arborist,

So please do not think I am being patronising, just merely pointing out this is our area of expertise.

Ladders are merely access for some, I prefer to not use them, working off ladders is extremely dangerous in this situation!!

I,d probably just climb up it and cut it down piece by piece from rope and harness.

Edited by Marc

I agree with Hama the tree could be retained by maybe reducing sail area and still keep its aesthetics, but givin the location it's not the right choice unfortunately looks like a fell is the only option, I,ve worked on much bigger trees with similar symptoms only with very few targets.

As for mini trees in housing estates hell no, as far as I,m concerned we do not have enough mature trees in the urban environment, again where I am working now you will find huge much larger than your tree barely meters away from houses with the canopies spreading well over the roof tops, people can co habit with very mature trees quite well when managed and surprisingly they love them and do not look at them as threats.

Sorry mate I have to reply to this one...aesthetics Well what do you mean by this..Yes its impressive..I am the first to admit that...same as the Empire estate building..Generally people dont look up a bit like deers really.. and the only way to see this tree (apart from the trunk) is to look up...GREEN wise ie CO2 its not doing alot on account of the few stubby branches it has currently left on it...CO2 being produced in the leaf..Leafy mini trees....that's wot we need...

These trees where around before the housing estate was built so they are completely out of scale and in positions that you would not normally plant. So what is wrong with felling the lot and putting in designer mini trees?

Lobbing off branches do not save lives, trees are not great evil monster killers, tree safety requires an in depth knowledge and not merely battering them in half or back. for most here that tree is a fairly straight forward job and not actually overly big, sure it's big enough.

I can see from your view point as in your mindset being your not an arborist,

So please do not think I am being patronising, just merely pointing out this is our area of expertise.

Ladders are merely access for some, I prefer to not use them, working off ladders is extremely dangerous in this situation!!

I,d probably just climb up it and cut it down piece by piece from rope and harness.

You sound like the sort of bloke I need to do the job..

Sorry mate I have to reply to this one...aesthetics Well what do you mean by this..Yes its impressive..I am the first to admit that...same as the Empire estate building..Generally people dont look up a bit like deers really.. and the only way to see this tree (apart from the trunk) is to look up...GREEN wise ie CO2 its not doing alot on account of the few stubby branches it has currently left on it...CO2 being produced in the leaf..Leafy mini trees....that's wot we need...

These trees where around before the housing estate was built so they are completely out of scale and in positions that you would not normally plant. So what is wrong with felling the lot and putting in designer mini trees?

I wish I could show you what I mean, I,m doing another video soon which will show a leafy suburb full of mature 30m oaks, beech and pines meters away from buildings and extending over them, really makes things tricky when having to carry out dead woods and reduction work, these estates are some of the most desirable places to live, the green monuments make the area.

CO2....... green? I know what your getting at but for me it's more about the architecture of these living structures for me, they are older than us and our fathers and an important part of our landscape including urban and just as important as man made structures.

At the end of the day I,m not an educated guy, just a humble climber who loves trees.

But I.m also telling you, your tree more than likely has to go because of the problems you have shown and its location, if it was in your back garden and away from targets I,d probably try to tell you to keep it.

I'd have a picus and resistograph test done [ASAP] before cutting the tree down,just in case the decay isn't anywhere near as bad as it looks. especially if the TO is a bit of an a-hole.

Nothing more embarrassing than diagnosing a tree with huge amounts of decay, only to see solid rings on the deck.

Saying that from the picture it looks a pretty forgone conclusion.

Edited by Lee Winger

I'd have a picus and resistograph test done [ASAP] before cutting the tree down,just in case the decay isn't anywhere near as bad as it looks. especially if the TO is a bit of an a-hole.

Nothing more embarrassing than diagnosing a tree with huge amounts of decay, only to see solid rings on the deck.

Saying that from the picture it looks a pretty forgone conclusion.

Well, ahem, if you wanted to test the tree I know a man who can, but given the evidence I'd say you'd be best getting it down. if for whatever reason the LA is resistant, then ask them for guidance on alternatives. The usual alternatives might be reduction/retrenchment, soil amelioration or monitoring. Give the tree's form, condition and the targets, I can't see that any of these alternatives could really apply.

again, thats why WE are arborists/arboriculturists and you most certainly have not a clue!:biggrin: