Sawn to order green burr elm for sale

Big J

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice colour - is that the bit you had from Burrell?

Alec

Hi Alec - not actually had that one sawn yet. It's still at Helmdon waiting for a passing lorry that I need to get confirmation on. It's Wheatley Elm from Edinburgh city centre. I'd expect the Huntingdon Elm to have darker heart wood.

Vinnie - not received anything yet :001_huh:

Hi Alec - not actually had that one sawn yet. It's still at Helmdon waiting for a passing lorry that I need to get confirmation on. It's Wheatley Elm from Edinburgh city centre. I'd expect the Huntingdon Elm to have darker heart wood.

Ah - wasn't sure which sort Burrell had taken down as it looked quite orange in the pictures.

I think of Huntingdon elm as looking like the picture below (wet surface) - although I think this one is hybrid with Wych elm as it has some green in places.

Alec

elm.jpg.95be0711afe958efcc799021787f43ae.jpg

That is very dark, almost walnut like.

Yes, it is pretty dark, although also quite variable, and some really nice grain in places. You can see the dry colour in my current avatar.

Elm has to be one of my favourite timbers:001_smile:

Alec

Yes, it is pretty dark, although also quite variable, and some really nice grain in places. You can see the dry colour in my current avatar.

Elm has to be one of my favourite timbers:001_smile:

Alec

In my experience, no other timber varies so much.

Vinnie - message sent :thumbup1:

• 3 months later...

Update:

I'm doing a kiln load of Elm next week, cut to order. I'll make the same offer to you rabble as I did to the local cabinet makers.

Elm, cut to your specification, dried to 8-12%, £28 a cubic foot plus VAT. Measurement is done on the hoppus measure, a good variety of logs available (around 30 tonnes). Delivery is by pallet which is an additional, though not substantial cost. Price is only on the basis of taking a whole log and individual boards will be available later at £36 a cubic foot. Prices plus VAT.

Get in touch if interested :D

Jonathan