IRATA rope access

Matt McAulay

The rope access world is very different to the tree world. maybe the employers either have a specific job in mind (geo. stab. or something) or the HR staff are not aware of the differences and are just seeing lots of appealing bumph (which they love) and the odd mention of rope work?

Hi usually it will be rope access companies asking for chainsaw opertivies with the IRATA ticket for the de veg jobs

I do lots of rope access geo work I know in the rope access industry there is always a grey arera when it comes to cutting trees and problems arise when they want the trees climbing cutting with IRATA rope access style there is very little flexibility when it comes to different Rope techniques for different types of work .

The other funny thing is a chainsaw operative under the IRATA banna are not required to have cs38 or 39 to use a chainsaw from a rope and harness . The rope access compainies only ask for Cs 30/31 for there operativies as the 38/39 certs are not recognised for IRATA work

It all gets quite interesting

Littletree

The other funny thing is a chainsaw operative under the IRATA banna are not required to have cs38 or 39 to use a chainsaw from a rope and harness . The rope access compainies only ask for Cs 30/31 for there operativies as the 38/39 certs are not recognised for IRATA work

It all gets quite interesting

Littletree

I've noticed this and wondered how it would work in the event of something going wrong and an HSE investigation, because the HSE guidance all points towards CS module training with no mention of IRATA qualifications... :001_huh:

Anyone know if there's ever been a case or precedence...? One presumes not or there would likely be some mention of it in the AFAG or HSE notes... :confused1:

I know for myself and most other rope access tec when it comes to trees and climbing we all just say no to doing it IRATA style as it cannot work ? Initially some level 3s don't like it but I have there is always the stock answer and it allways works.

It's the level 3s job to do or oversea the rigging of any work to be done above ground so if they still insist on IRATA style for a tree . I just say ok you go up and rig it for me first, and of course they cannot rig it so it second part is i ask for the risk assesment .in the end it boils down to they either let us do it NPTC way or it stays standing . Or sub out the work

I think there will allways be this Gray overlap between IRATA and NPTC because trees will allways preceed rock work and need to be delt with . I think in the end they will just recognise it and incorporate it into there risk assessments as time moves on , as one rope work system does not work for everything .just like you would not use a spade to drill a hole .

Littletree:001_smile:

Some geo companies i know accept NPTC systems and have guys trained in it but other rope companies dont. admitedly those that dont accept it dont do geo.

I think it will always be a blurry grey area

Jamie

Hi,

I've noticed this on a few posts on here, only asking for 30/31. I can see why 38 isn't needed if you've already got an IRATA qualification, but surely 39 is still needed under the training requirement of the PUWER regs?

I'm quite willing to be corrected on this, but my reading of it is that if you're using a saw from a rope and harness for which there is specific training (CS39) and you haven't got it then you're up a creek without a paddle if it all goes wrong.

I'm not in this situation as I don't do IRATA work, but I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts.

I've thought that too Spruce Pirate, but as i have all the above tickets, my ass is covered.

Using a saw from an IRATA harness is the same as from a tree harness, but with more chance of cutting ropes as there is a slack line flapping around.

Jamie