One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

Spud,

Funny enough I toyed with the notion of sending the wee 026 to you to "fettle", before my recent issues, but, hey! for cutting a wheen o sticks, a bit OTT.( Not unlike the brand new 520mm wide tyres on the knackered D Brown tractor)

I will speak to the local guy tomorrow, a final time, and explain what transpired re the "stale" fuel.

Many thanks

Marcus

On 2/4/2018 at 22:00, Treespotter said:

Eh... That's not true.
But the chance that someone at the Aspen plant fucks up is a lot smaller than any of us or our coworkers.

yup - in over 8 years of using just aspen I have never had that problem - not met anyone who has personally 

On 04/02/2018 at 21:00, Treespotter said:

Eh... That's not true.
But the chance that someone at the Aspen plant fucks up is a lot smaller than any of us or our coworkers.

The chance of a problem with the mix at the Aspen plant is very low indeed, if not impossible. 

The mixing of oil and fuel is precisely controlled. It is done in batches and every batch is sampled and tested in their lab. If a problem were to be detected the batch would not be allowed to leave the plant. 

Furthermore, a sample from every batch is stored for future reference if necessary. There is a store with hundreds if not thousands of labelled samples going back for years.

If you check the Aspen can you will find the batch number and date printed on the can.

The nature of my business is such that I have to drain down many chainsaws and I would say that a large percentage have a large amount of fine debris in their fuel tanks. I often think that some of the woes attributed to Aspen may be some of this "shyte" being carried through the fuel system by the Aspen and then blamed on it.

My advice would be to drain the tank a few times and purge with clean fuel until clean before changing to Aspen and expect machines that have been run on pump fuel for a long time will need new lines and carb parts as they harden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

The nature of my business is such that I have to drain down many chainsaws and I would say that a large percentage have a large amount of fine debris in their fuel tanks. I often think that some of the woes attributed to Aspen may be some of this "shyte" being carried through the fuel system by the Aspen and then blamed on it.

My advice would be to drain the tank a few times and purge with clean fuel until clean before changing to Aspen and expect machines that have been run on pump fuel for a long time will need new lines and carb parts as they harden.

Many of the so called woes associated with Aspen are actually down to problems caused by petrol. Many people try to cure running issues by using Aspen but of course this does not work. They then seem to forget that they had a problem on petrol first and blame the Aspen.

Problems must be properly fixed before converting to the use of Aspen.

2 hours ago, kcstevens said:

So it isn't a great idea to fit between aspen/motomix and 2 stroke fuel. For example, using Aspen on your own jobs but when subbing use their fuel??

Its really not a problem if the saw is in good order, although some smaller machines may possibly require a slight retune in order to reach peak performance on Aspen.

3 hours ago, kcstevens said:

So it isn't a great idea to fit between aspen/motomix and 2 stroke fuel. For example, using Aspen on your own jobs but when subbing use their fuel??

Possibly not  .  Pump fuel eventually removes the coating from the rubber components that is there to keep the rubber supple . The petrol itself then keeps the rubber supple . If you then switch to aspen the rubber will then  harden and degrade . If you use Aspen from the get go then there wont be a problem as it does not attack the rubber .  If you " flit " from one to the other on a frequent basis the the problems wont happen as soon but if you switched to Aspen preminantly  on a saw that's been run on pump fuel for a significant time that's when the problems are likely to occur .  Not Aspens fault .

Edited by Stubby