One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

I know there are a few members who have never experienced the damage done by stale petrol so thought this might be of interest

I replaced this carb primer on a Briggs and Stratton pulsa jet carb today.

The pictures show a partially dissolved and swollen primer bulb alongside a new one, and the sticky mess of dissolved rubber left in the carb.

All primers, hoses and diaphragms will be attacked by stale petrol so best to keep it fresh, or use Aspen.

014.JPG.1355fb69040da3901d524c87bc57a09b.JPG

013.JPG.8da053ebea4ec4b57956acb980451f65.JPG

011.JPG.c801c10756e0950516153b53fbc22511.JPG

009.JPG.2740d9f4d3f733cc37c6f91ab2c8637a.JPG

Petrol is not what it used to be, thats for sure. But I been quoted £19.75 a gallon of Aspen only last week.:confused1: I wont be going there:sneaky2:

If it was sold everywhere then maybe the price would come down, nearest to me is Bristol at £17.?? and have it collected.

The plus side is saws are so clean inside and always start after sitting on the shelf for weeks, some times months!

I am a very satisfied Aspen user:thumbup1:

Edited by Old WoodChip

BP petrol 5 litres, one shot bottle of stihl two stroke oil, never had a problem in 10 years, even old fuel from service saws and hedgecutters goes in my own personal use mowers. Never ever had a problem, ive a komatsu brushcutter that gets used twice a year that runs on stihl mix. five months over winter its sat with mix in the tank and never fails to start or complete the days work.

Jamie, you obviously have a good fuel management regime. e.g knowing that your fuel is getting older and using it up in the mower.

Keep it up and you wont have problems with pump fuel.

The shelf life of pump petrol is generally taken to be 30 days. In truth it is degrading from the moment it is purchased, the rate of degradation depends on storage conditions such as heat and damp.

Some carburation systems are more tolerant of stale fuel than others, the older carbs in particular are less fussy. Generally petrol of 6 months old does not cause too many noticeable problems, but without doubt the power produced will be less. and of course with 2t there is the risk of oil seperation. Starting will doubtless be a little more difficult and the exhaust fumes will be heavier.

In the repair trade however, it is very common to have machines in with stale fuel problems of varying degree. It is a very real problem which everyone needs to be aware of, hence the post.

The example pictured is extreme and the photos dont show the full effect. The rubber is slimy as though its melting, the melted rubber has gone into the carb passages, and the stink of stale petrol is nauseating and difficult to wash away.

I dont know how old this petrol was but would guess at 12 to 18 months from past experience.

Due to my ill health, I was forced to leave my saws and other petrol engined machinery for 5months over winter as they came off their last jobs. I've been expecting issues with saws and trimmers, but so far everything has been fine. This is regular unleaded with 50:1 Stihl 2t mix. I've never had issues before, but was expecting the worst this year, but none. So still not a convert to Aspen, sorry.

Due to my ill health, I was forced to leave my saws and other petrol engined machinery for 5months over winter as they came off their last jobs. I've been expecting issues with saws and trimmers, but so far everything has been fine. This is regular unleaded with 50:1 Stihl 2t mix. I've never had issues before, but was expecting the worst this year, but none. So still not a convert to Aspen, sorry.

Andy if the exhaust fumes were the reason for your health prob - buy a 3M resp mask. I find fumes give me a headache and feel yuck so I have used these masks since I have used saws and no probs - Ok I sound like an extra from Dr Who, and picked up the nick name of 'the masked chainsawer' - could have been worse:laugh1:.

If you want more details on CO fumes and resp maskes let me know:thumbup1:

I use aspen in all my hand held equipment,it is expensive,but what price your health,the saws seem to run very well on it,& no worries it I leave the 3120 in the shed for a couple of months & then expect it to slog its guts out with a long bar,or my spare top handle to sit idle then spring into life.