One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

Saving an ex grounds maintenance HRX537, none runner, used 4 stroke Stihl Motomix in 1l, and had it running within the day. Spark plug was defunct and magnet and coil pick ups rusted bad. Could not get it to tune at all though (back firing, hunting, unable to hold idle), went through the bottle and went and bought Aspen 4 in 5l. Topped up and began tuning, and had it tuned within 30mins (yes I’m slow, paid by the hour though [emoji23]). Cuts like a champ now.

At the same time got a bottle of 2 stroke Stihl Motomix for the strimmer, FS70, primed off bulb and started on choke second pull. It ran amazingly well and had more response on the throttle than on pump fuel mix.

Didn’t stink either, and lasts up to five years if stored correctly, no brainer for me really.

So I had a “bad” experience with the Stihl 4 stroke (there could of been other factors involved), but not the Aspen 4 or Stihl 2 stroke mix. Who knows, but I’m sticking with the Aspen 4 for the foreseeable future, and going to test some other 2 stroke pre mixes out in the strimmer and saw (MS171).

Edit:- Both strimmer and mower used pump fuel all their live (in their respective requirements). Both items are 2nd hand, repaired by myself for personal use.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Heavy Oil Saw said:

Edit:- Both strimmer and mower used pump fuel all their live (in their respective requirements). Both items are 2nd hand, repaired by myself for personal use.

You may find that after a time the rubber components go brittle and need to be replaced . This is not the fault of the Alkylate fuel but the petrol it previousely ran on . The rubber has a coating on it to keep it supple . Petrol ( pump fuel ) removes this coating over time but, the petrol itself keeps the rubber supple  (as it is very slowly dissolving it ) Aspen or similar does not attack the rubber so when switching to an Alkylate fuel after running on pump fuel for a lengthy time the rubbre fails . If you run Alkylate fuel from the get go there is not a problem .  Incedentally I mix Aspen 4 or Husqvarna 4 with RedLine 2t oil at 50:1 with no problems .

• Like 1

You may find that after a time the rubber components go brittle and need to be replaced . This is not the fault of the Alkylate fuel but the petrol it previousely ran on . The rubber has a coating on it to keep it supple . Petrol ( pump fuel ) removes this coating over time but, the petrol itself keeps the rubber supple  (as it is very slowly dissolving it ) Aspen or similar does not attack the rubber so when switching to an Alkylate fuel after running on pump fuel for a lengthy time the rubbre fails . If you run Alkylate fuel from the get go there is not a problem .  Incedentally I mix Aspen 4 or Husqvarna 4 with RedLine 2t oil at 50:1 with no problems .

I’m ready for it, carb kits/primers for the saw and strimmer, and new fuel lines and filters all round. I like tinkering, so I’m happy it’ll perish all the lot.

There’s another post floating around about Aspen, and it was mentioned about this occurring, as I researching using Aspen, as it keeps for so long (conditions prevailing).

• Like 1

I agree it is strange, I don't suspect the fuel or it would be a known issue, maybe it's the oil choice. I reckon it's something like bore washing, the oil is not mixing properly or clinging to the bore or rings so not creating good compression.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NickPC said:

I bought some 4T and mixed Stihl HP red with it as normal pump fuel.

Put some in my HT75 pole saw, did not like it one bit..... Ran terrible straight away despite carb tuning, eventually stalled, refused to start and felt low on compression, I tested it to find it was 120psi down from 160 ish. Put standard fuel in and it started, ran normally and the compression recovered.

Tried it in a newly ported 026. Ran and idled ok, started to loose power after maybe six cuts... Killed it, pulled it over and it felt very low on compression..... Yikes. Standard fuel in and it recovered power, felt ok pulling it over and I've just looked into the bore to see it's fine and back to pulling +200 psi!

Bizzarre..... I was interested in it but not that much to risk saws, back to the ethanol fuel. Anyone any ideas? Oil type?

Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear you you have had some issues trying Aspen with your machines

The compression symptoms you are describing don't add up, and i'm sure this has nothing to do with the problems you ware experiencing. if the machines run really bad on Aspen but good on pump fuel, its very likely that the carburetor diaphragms have seen better days and cant cope with the change to using a fuel that doesn't contain any aromatics. 2-stroke carburetors in garden machinery rely on the diaphragms for fuel metering so if this malfunctions, its like having a car with a failing fuel pump.

Understand its an inconvenience when this happens but once fixed, you will be able to enjoy all of the benefits of Aspen fuel going forwards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJStrees said:

Who buys bulk Aspen, where from and how much and what cost? Just trying to find the best deal on a pallet load it all seems pretty pricey but obviously better to buy in bulk than a few bottles at a time. 

Hi AJStrees,

we have a section on our website dedicated to providing information to business' about buying in Aspen fuel bulk 

ASPENFUEL.CO.UK

Aspen Fuel is a leading UK distributor of Aspen Products, we offer free delivery within two working days for bulk orders and fuel storage.

Here you can also find the current bulk pricelist.

if you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM or give us a call on the number on our website.

BR
Axel