One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

1 hour ago, GardenKit said:

Strange, I admit. But true.

Many Aspen users will never go back to petrol even if means leaving the job. But it also means most make sure they have adequate supplies on hand.

Yeah definitely takes planning and having plenty in reserve. Thats what puts me off the new electric stuff as well, the convenience of being able to pop the the nearest garage and £6 later you're good to carry on.

• 2 months later...

The latest figure released by the Anglo American Oil Company (UK distributor of Aspen Alkylate fuel) reveals that the volume of Aspen fuel sold in the UK during 2017 was a staggering 29% up on the 2016.

It just goes to show how many more users are converting to this fuel and finding the benefits.

Our own sales have increased and 10,000 litres were sold just in the small area of East Devon, giving this area the highest concentration of Aspen users in the UK.

Time to get on board guys!

• Like 1

So, really if Aspen is so much cleaner than Petrol, why are are cars still running on disgusting dirty petrol, zillions of litres of it every day too!

So petrol cannot be that bad health wise.

And per recent Government advice, petrol is so clean to burn in vehicles, well compared to diesel.

And if cars were made to run on Aspen type fuel, it should be better for us all, and it would be much cheaper and more easily available

Or forecourt staff would have seriously shortened life expectancies, if petrol were so dirty.

cheers

marcus

P.S.

Does anyone know what price Aspen, or an equivalent Alkylate fuel is in the United States.

Edited by difflock

13 hours ago, difflock said:

So, really if Aspen is so much cleaner than Petrol, why are are cars still running on disgusting dirty petrol, zillions of litres of it every day too!

So petrol cannot be that bad health wise.

And per recent Government advice, petrol is so clean to burn in vehicles, well compared to diesel.

And if cars were made to run on Aspen type fuel, it should be better for us all, and it would be much cheaper and more easily available

Or forecourt staff would have seriously shortened life expectancies, if petrol were so dirty.

cheers

marcus

P.S.

Does anyone know what price Aspen, or an equivalent Alkylate fuel is in the United States.

Marcus,Aspen does indeed produce 99% less harmful emissions than pump petrol, and petrol really is bad healthwise, have no doubts. The problems associated with petrol have been known for a long time and action has been taken by governments to minimise the hazard.

It started with trying to remove petrol pump attendants from the forecourt as they were experiencing a higher than average amount of health issues, and then, to protect the self serving customer the pumps were designed to remove the vapour whilst filling.

Then the cars themselves were fitted with catalytic converters to trap and burn of the harmful substances from the exhaust, a job which the cat does very well producing the clean burn that the government want.

Without these actions the world would now be a much more polluted place. (Some countries are still pretty bad though)

Sure, if we could run all our cars on Aspen then the atmosphere would be super clean and the catalytic converter could be redundant. But the reality is that, as Alkylate Fuel is produced from the left over gases at the top of the distillation tower and cracking plant there is only a small percentage of Alkylate fuel produced in comparison with normal petrol. In simple terms, you have to produce petrol in large volume to produce Alkylate in small volume, and that petrol does have to be used in road transport. And of course, don't forget that the Alkylation process is quite expensive compared with normal production of petrol. 

So why not have cats on small equipment? Well some engines do have cats and no doubt more will follow. But having clean emissions is only one of the benefits of Aspen. Other benefits are found in the engine before the exhaust, such as the clean burn in the upper cylinder which prevents the build up of carbon on pistons and valves. Spark plugs stay clean and lubricating oil does not become black, extending engine life, this is a fact.

And, even before the fuel gets to the engine there are still benfits to be found, such as the lack of solvents which prolong the life of rubber, plastic and soft metals in the fuel system.

And not to forget the extended storage life of Aspen over petrol.

A win-win situation on every aspect, except the effect on your pocket. 

Hope this answers your question.

Ps, can't help on US prices.

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful response, since my questions/queries were indeed more than a little tongue in cheek.

And for all the limited amount of fuel I use, even the shocking price premium could probably be tolerated.

Especially if the wee 260's current running woes turn out to be in any way fuel related.

Regards

Marcus

22 hours ago, difflock said:

Thanks for the helpful response, since my questions/queries were indeed more than a little tongue in cheek.

And for all the limited amount of fuel I use, even the shocking price premium could probably be tolerated.

Especially if the wee 260's current running woes turn out to be in any way fuel related.

Regards

Marcus

If I am honest Marcus, many users just like you, find the cost of Aspen tolerable once they have proved the benefits themselves. Many of my 'light commercial' users pass the cost onto the customer and often make a bit out of it too. e.g. add £20 'environmental fuel' to the job and only use half a can.:001_rolleyes:

• Like 1

The turning point for me, was getting into bed at night still smelling exhaust fumes.
If you have your face a couple of feet from an exhaust all day, can't see it being healthy.
And yes, I pass the cost onto client by explaining the environmental and health benefits.
And £20 on a £300+ job is nothing.
[emoji106][emoji3][emoji3]

• Like 3

Well ! ! ! !

After a 3rd trip to the local saw-doctor, but all for the princely sum of £20.00 :D(plus my time and mileage and frustration, it must be admitted)

Zero carburetttor  issues, so most probably stale fuel9_9, which I fully declared when I left the saw in for the 2nd time.

In hindsight the 20 litre Jerrycan has probably been sitting about for a year +, could be 15-18 months

( since I "lost" a 12-month post retirement)

Lesson learned,

so

I will now only buy 5litre pump petrol at a time:P, like wot I just done did this afternoonO.o

but

Only problems were over-revving, like when "running on fumes" using the last dregs of fuel in the tank to finish a cut,

and conversely, and intermittently,

"bogging down", i.e. refusing to "take" the throttle.

i.e.

Zero catastrophic saw failure issues (but my saw probably not being worked hard enough for these problems to occur)

N.B.

First such problem in 20+ years, with the same saw and fuel management regime.

cheers

mth

Edited by difflock

I dunno wot Stihl pre fill their new saws with, but every new one I have opened up, the stuff in the tank stinks ! Now is this some special blend of running in fuel ? Cos I always tossed it and filled with fresh mix ( ran saw gently for a day or two on smaller dia stuff )  I always toss any fuel after two weeks jus mix what I wI'll need fr the week. K

I went to my dealer to get some Aspen and he told he is having problems with the Aspen rep ( since Eddie left ) and they wont deliver to him unless he buys a whole lorry load . He has Stihl Moto mix as well but told me in a couple of weeks he will be getting in Husqvarnas own brand of Alkalite fuel .  Would this just be rebaged Aspen or slightely different again ?