One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

If he is refuelling on sight ( as most people do ) then there is all kinds of crap blowing about . When you are flat out in the woods try filling the oil tank without getting any saw dust in the tank ! I would be very surprised if it was in the fuel to start with .  

I am pretty careless when it comes to fueling. I fill my 5l cans with whatever funnel comes to hand first, not often with a gauze and rarely clean inside. I do not wipe around my fuel cap before opening ( heard some people keep a special paint brush in their combi for this?). Their appears to be some muck inside fuel tanks floating around always. I have never had a blocked fuel pickup filter ever.

Better things to worry about I reckon.

Aspen sounds excellent. When I left the country for 6 months I wazzed some in all my saws etc. But I have never had a problem with pump fuel going stale. I do use ethanol shield which you sling 7ml in 5l ( £10 for 300ml) which says increases fuel life to a year or so.....probably snake oil but costs so little.

I really enjoyed the aspen I did have, less smelly was the main thing for me!

54 minutes ago, billpierce said:

I am pretty careless when it comes to fueling. I fill my 5l cans with whatever funnel comes to hand first, not often with a gauze and rarely clean inside. I do not wipe around my fuel cap before opening ( heard some people keep a special paint brush in their combi for this?). Their appears to be some muck inside fuel tanks floating around always. I have never had a blocked fuel pickup filter ever.

Better things to worry about I reckon.

Aspen sounds excellent. When I left the country for 6 months I wazzed some in all my saws etc. But I have never had a problem with pump fuel going stale. I do use ethanol shield which you sling 7ml in 5l ( £10 for 300ml) which says increases fuel life to a year or so.....probably snake oil but costs so little.

I really enjoyed the aspen I did have, less smelly was the main thing for me!

Very fair, well balanced comments there Bill

If he is refuelling on sight ( as most people do ) then there is all kinds of crap blowing about . When you are flat out in the woods try filling the oil tank without getting any saw dust in the tank ! I would be very surprised if it was in the fuel to start with .  

Nope, of course I know about sawdust in the air, flippin heck. This is in my workshop, or back of the truck when nothings ‘blowing about’ .
I’ve seldom got through a can without any bits, as I said earlier the fine screen filter is cleaned after each fill up, and there’s usually something more or less on the screen that’s come out of the aspen can.
On Barrie’s advice I will endeavour to collect them.

4 hours ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Nope, of course I know about sawdust in the air, flippin heck. This is in my workshop, or back of the truck when nothings ‘blowing about’ .
I’ve seldom got through a can without any bits, as I said earlier the fine screen filter is cleaned after each fill up, and there’s usually something more or less on the screen that’s come out of the aspen can.

Ok . Sorry :( . Not had it myself though .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Sorry, I have no doubt that you have the bits on your screen, but I seriously doubt that they come from within the Aspen can. As I have said, I have decanted 100's of gallons of this stuff and never seen any impurities. I have also visited the Swedish plant and seen the blending and bottling process which is virtually clinically clean.

But you also know that I am a bit of an Aspen geek, so I am keen to find what your particles are and where they are coming from.

Having an opened can back from you is not really going to prove anything as, after all, once opened anything can fall in. And of course, sods law says if you let us have a full can it will be as pure as the one I filtered this morning. 

Can I suggest that you get a new plastic funnel and line it with a filter paper (coffee filter will do) and pour the contents of a new can through it, just as I did this morning, into another empty can. Do it one go and do it in a clean draught free room. If you catch anything, fold the filter paper and seal it into a resealable food back and post it to me. I will get it to Axel who may be able to send it to the Swedish Lab for evaluation. The labs there are incredibly well equipped with two full time chemists who continually test the product.

Sorry, I have no doubt that you have the bits on your screen, but I seriously doubt that they come from within the Aspen can. As I have said, I have decanted 100's of gallons of this stuff and never seen any impurities. I have also visited the Swedish plant and seen the blending and bottling process which is virtually clinically clean.
But you also know that I am a bit of an Aspen geek, so I am keen to find what your particles are and where they are coming from.
Having an opened can back from you is not really going to prove anything as, after all, once opened anything can fall in. And of course, sods law says if you let us have a full can it will be as pure as the one I filtered this morning. 
Can I suggest that you get a new plastic funnel and line it with a filter paper (coffee filter will do) and pour the contents of a new can through it, just as I did this morning, into another empty can. Do it one go and do it in a clean draught free room. If you catch anything, fold the filter paper and seal it into a resealable food back and post it to me. I will get it to Axel who may be able to send it to the Swedish Lab for evaluation. The labs there are incredibly well equipped with two full time chemists who continually test the product.

Yes I’ll do that, no problem, thanks Barrie.

1 hour ago, Hams25 said:

The problem with these fuels is that why would you pay 4 times the price if you pay £20.18 per gallon which is what I was quoted. In 5 years time you’ve bought a new saw anyway. Or I’m I totally missing the point ? 

Can you get a new respiratory system as well? Have a read up on what Benzene does to you rather than your saw. :)

• Like 1