One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

On 11/15/2017 at 16:13, AHPP said:

Stihl have changed their five litre MotoMix cans from the clear ones (that are as good as any can you'd buy from a garage if you ran out of fuel) to orange disposable ones like Aspen's always come in. A great shame because they were handy cans. A dealer told me it was so that users could crush them down to get them in bins.

There's a cracking bit in The Book of Eli about wastefulness:

Solara: Do you remember what it was like? I mean, in the world before?
Eli: People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious, what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.

And since the thread has now touched on spouts, another thing the new MotoMix cans probably won't do is take an autosealing spout like the old cans would. Can you get a spout (autosealing or just more accurate than free pouring) for Aspen/MotoMix cans?

4 hours ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Here’s one for Barrie, I’ve used aspen 2 for a year or 2 now.
Back in the days we used pump petrol and 2 stroke oil, we habitually used a small funnel with a very fine screen to protect the carbs from flaky old forecourt underground tanks.
We continue still with the same funnel, and at almost every fill up you can see small black debris on the screen.
Now you would think aspen being sold as ‘clean’ fuel wouldn’t have any bits in it, but I can guarantee it has.
What’s all that about then?

I don't know what you are finding in your funnel, but I can guarantee that it has not come from the Aspen, its perfectly clean. Of course, what happens after the can is opened..........?

But if you feel strongly that the fuel has been contaminated in the factory then send a can back to Anglo American via your dealer. They will send it to Aspen Sweden for testing and comparison against the original. They have kept a sample from every batch ever produced and will be very keen to check this allegation out.

3 hours ago, devon TWiG said:

I am  very dubious of the claims made by sellers/ users  of Aspen  , firstly even if the fuel is cleaner burning than petrol it is still mixed with 2 stroke oil , and it is the burning of oil with fuel that  gives 2 strokes the reputation of being "dirty " also the way a 2 stroke works means that fuel is burnt less efficiently compared to 4 strokes , also consider the fact that there will be atomised lubrication oil flung in to the air form the chain , also not to mention DUST , from  the saw you are using , the chipper ( plus it's fumes ) and the blower ....also background pollution from traffic , industry etc etc  when all this is considered as potential hazards to health in this industry then the level of reduction of potential harm overall to the users respiratory system   by using Aspen must be so  small as to be impossible to quantify , and the cost /benefit to me is ridiculous ,  I have never felt I have suffered from fumes or had saw problems that could be positively attributed to the fuel ..........however if others are convinced and are happy to pay such a premium then it is of no concern of mine ...  

devon Twig, I think you need to actually use some Aspen to appreciate that the claims made are factual. If you pop over to our shop and introduce yourself I will show you examples of stale petrol, damage caused by such, and I will give you a complementary can of Aspen to use, on condition that you submit a fair and honest appraisal on this thread after you have used it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AHPP said:

And since the thread has now touched on spouts, another thing the new MotoMix cans probably won't do is take an autosealing spout like the old cans would. Can you get a spout (autosealing or just more accurate than free pouring) for Aspen/MotoMix cans?

As said, we already have the first class Fillpartner for Aspen cans. Its extremely effective, good quality and long lasting.

Aspen FillPartner

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Thanks for that, iv had black bits from cans I’ve just took the new caps off, and we always keep our funnel in a sealed bag and wipe the bits off the screen after filling up.
It’s not contaminated from my stuff, it’s out of the aspen plastic can.
We will try and keep the bits and see what they say.

If you want to take this further let me know. I will have a word with Axel about getting one of your unopened cans collected and replaced with a new one. Yours can then be sent for testing. If anything is found in the fuel Aspen will be very concerned.

I have used hundreds of cans, in thousands of machines and never seen any evidence of such contamination.

I fix lots of saws and generally have to drain them to ship and I have noticed fine black particles in some saws tanks - a bit like carbon powder. Not linked to Aspen but still strange stuff and not got a bearing on what it is. Possibly rubber particles from the fuel hose abrading on the filter and fuel tank.

I also use a funnel with a very fine mesh in it - it purges the fuel tank of fine shyte when draining it!

Doesn't help with the Aspen query though!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Thanks for that, iv had black bits from cans I’ve just took the new caps off, and we always keep our funnel in a sealed bag and wipe the bits off the screen after filling up.
It’s not contaminated from my stuff, it’s out of the aspen plastic can.
We will try and keep the bits and see what they say.

I have been pondering on this since last evening and decided to check for myself this morning. In the absence of filter paper I used a brand new echo air filter with the centre hole plugged, and squished into a new filter funnel. Took a brand new can of Aspen 2, gave it a good shake and poured slowly through the filter, not allowing it to go over the sides. Before and after pictures show no contamination, just a slight discolouring from the 2t oil.

This has put my mind at rest about the purity of Aspen, but does not explain Old Woodchips observations.

20171118_075729.jpg

20171118_080445.jpg