One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

I thought it had a five year shelf life?

If so you could easily end up using winter grade in the summer and vice versa?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Aspen is a very pure fuel and will easily stay fresh for 5 years. But, as with all fossil fuels there will be a tendancy to vapourise more readily in hot weather.

This is a well known problem with pump petrol, we have all seen the cans 'balloon' in hot weather and heard the loud gasp of escaping vapour when releasing the cap. It is this vapourisation that can also occur in fuel lines, especially those that run close to a heat source. The fuel in the hose turns to gas and virtually causes an 'airlock' in the pipe.

Most engines do not suffer from this but a small percentage can, and very hot weather makes it worse.

To counter this summer vapourisation the oil companies alter the blend for summer to make the fuel vapourise less readily, and vice versa in the winter.

So summer fuels may well cause starting issues in the winter because the fuel does not vapourise enough, and winter fuels used in the summer vapourise to readily and cause running issues.

Aspen change their fuels in the same way as the petrol companies.

But to be honest, even though problems can occur occasionally it is very rare, and in 5 years of selling Aspen and around 50,000 litres sold, I have never had a problem reported.

Edit, Sorry Axel, you posted while I was still writing!!

Edited by GardenKit
Duplicate reply.

Aspen is a very pure fuel and will easily stay fresh for 5 years. But, as with all fossil fuels there will be a tendancy to vapourise more readily in hot weather.

This is a well known problem with pump petrol, we have all seen the cans 'balloon' in hot weather and heard the loud gasp of escaping vapour when releasing the cap. It is this vapourisation that can also occur in fuel lines, especially those that run close to a heat source. The fuel in the hose turns to gas and virtually causes an 'airlock' in the pipe.

Most engines do not suffer from this but a small percentage can, and very hot weather makes it worse.

To counter this summer vapourisation the oil companies alter the blend for summer to make the fuel vapourise less readily, and vice versa in the winter.

So summer fuels may well cause starting issues in the winter because the fuel does not vapourise enough, and winter fuels used in the summer vapourise to readily and cause running issues.

Aspen change their fuels in the same way as the petrol companies.

But to be honest, even though problems can occur occasionally it is very rare, and in 5 years of selling Aspen and around 50,000 litres sold, I have never had a problem reported.

Edit, Sorry Axel, you posted while I was still writing!!

It's interesting as this last week I've had starting issues with a blower. That has been vapour locking I think as fuel has been bursting out the tank on opening.

Thought it was breather but that was fine and once cool again no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hi Rob,

if you have not had any difficulty starting this saw before then it sounds like this is related to the unusually hot weather we are experiencing in the UK just now. I am not sure if there are any known starting issues with this model saw in hot climates.

There is a good chance you are getting vapour lock in your fuel system. Are you using fuel purchased during winter? Aspen is seasonally adjusted (as is pump fuel) to aid easier starting during hot or cold conditions depending on the season. I'm not saying this is the problem you are experiencing but it is worth knowing.

If you let me know the batch number printed on the can i can let you know either way.

so today been a lot cooler at 20 degree celsius and the echo 2511 tes started and ran fine and idle fine unlike monday 33 where i had the troubles of starting and idling. the only code i can find on the can is printed in black ASPEN2 FRT2693 in micro dot on the can itself

• 3 weeks later...

Figures just released from Anglo American Oil (the Aspen importers for the UK) show that sales for the first 6 months of 2017 are 36% up on the same period last year.

This shows that more users are appreciating the great benefits of using Aspen fuel in these progressive, modern, times.

Our own sales here at Garden Kit also continue to increase year on year even though I thought we had reached our potential several years ago. Happy users are spreading the word and new customers appear every day it seems.

Figures just released from Anglo American Oil (the Aspen importers for the UK) show that sales for the first 6 months of 2017 are 36% up on the same period last year.

This shows that more users are appreciating the great benefits of using Aspen fuel in these progressive, modern, times.

Our own sales here at Garden Kit also continue to increase year on year even though I thought we had reached our potential several years ago. Happy users are spreading the word and new customers appear every day it seems.

Is the same happening with Stihl Motomix or are people converting to Aspen.

Is the same happening with Stihl Motomix or are people converting to Aspen.

Our own sales, and our increase in sales have no relationship to Motomix at all that I know of. I have never heard it mentioned by customers in my shop. Our sales of Aspen is almost all down to our own efforts and promotion of the product.

As for the national sales, I do not know, but strongly suspect the picture is much as our own.

I would appreciate any feedback on anyone converting from Motomix to Aspen, or indeed, vice-versa.

I am trialling Aspen at the moment. I have found a good local supplier which was my first issue. although I still cringe at the price I suspect the benefits outweigh will make it worth spending the extra. Couple of initial thoughts, what does everyone do with their empty cans? Before I know it I'm going to be swamped? Also, bit disappointed with the smell. Id of thought at that price using a saw with it in would smell of summit nice like fish and chips or freshly mown grass but it's a weird smell. Think I prefer the smell of 2 stroke mmmmm delicious carcinogens. Seriously though I think it's the way ahead

I am trialling Aspen at the moment. I have found a good local supplier which was my first issue. although I still cringe at the price I suspect the benefits outweigh will make it worth spending the extra. Couple of initial thoughts, what does everyone do with their empty cans? Before I know it I'm going to be swamped? Also, bit disappointed with the smell. Id of thought at that price using a saw with it in would smell of summit nice like fish and chips or freshly mown grass but it's a weird smell. Think I prefer the smell of 2 stroke mmmmm delicious carcinogens. Seriously though I think it's the way ahead

The early version of Aspen did smell like a chippie but they changed the formula I think . Aspen 4 mixed with Redline Racing 2T oil at 50:1 has a nice smell .....