One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

I had a classic example yesterday of the problems that can be found from the use of pump petrol.

This 024 would start, but only run briefly before dying. Classic fuel starvation. The cause in this case was the usual blocked internal gauze, which was blocked by a cocktail of solid material and jelly like gunge. The solids could have been sawdust and, or, solids formed by chemical reaction. The jelly gunge was certainly that caused by phase separation of ethanol.

The use of Aspen would have prevented this.

P1010470.jpg.3dcda2c521cc92d77e4a7acb515a973c.jpg

P1010473.jpg.f196f95a152a9d0e6958f894467eded7.jpg

P1010474.jpg.71b2235f2076507538eb15c85e12f7ef.jpg

image.jpg.461f2a430ef0bbe8c59b4f5d3a59aca5.jpg not aspen or chainsaw related but I removed this from a Honda CR-V I had in for a service! Ask the punter where they get there diesel from and he told me "morrisons" or "Asda"....... I always advise friends and family to use decent fuel but "I costs to much supermarket fuel is cheaper!

Won't be that when I present you with a bill for a couple of grand for new injectors and fuel pump ect 😡

Rant over😆

I have said this before, there is a definate power loss useing Aspen, tune the carb all you like, there is no way a pro cutter could justify the additional cost of using this fuel, trebling your fuel cost over night is just not going to happen, fresh pump fuel and good quaility two stroke oil is fine.

I have said this before, there is a definate power loss useing Aspen, tune the carb all you like, there is no way a pro cutter could justify the additional cost of using this fuel, trebling your fuel cost over night is just not going to happen, fresh pump fuel and good quaility two stroke oil is fine.

Fresh pump fuel and good 2 stroke is indeed OK. The saw will work OK.

The fuel lines will very slowly rot, the carb diaphragms will slowly rot, the fuel tank will slowly dissolve, but it will be OK.

The piston crown will carbon up, as will the exhaust and the exhaust port, but to be fair, in a hardworking saw this will be a slow and acceptable process.

What you save in fuel will pay for a new saw.

It will not pay for the damage to your health from breathing in the carcinogenic benzene and sulphur. But what the heck? We are British and nothing will hurt us.

Regards the loss of power, well most users will disagree. Aspen is purer and offers a smoother flame front, and as there are no double bonded hydrocarbons present the burn is more efficient.

The piston will stay clean, as will the exhaust port and exhaust. The plug will stay clean and the fuel components will never need changing if Aspen is used.

But, everyone to their own. The great thing about democracy is freedom of choice.

Some of the arguements are valid, however manufacturers are already useing different materials for fuel hoses, carb diaphrams etc, i think it a little unfair to imply that your saw is going to fall apart if you do not use Aspen, i have worked on thousands of machines that have been and still are running on pump fuel, i guess you have a vested intrest in this as you are selling it.

Some of the arguements are valid, however manufacturers are already useing different materials for fuel hoses, carb diaphrams etc, i think it a little unfair to imply that your saw is going to fall apart if you do not use Aspen, i have worked on thousands of machines that have been and still are running on pump fuel, i guess you have a vested intrest in this as you are selling it.

I totally agree that there is constant improvement in materials used in fuel systems to resist the ravages of ethanol in fuel. But no sooner do they produce materials to resist 5% ethanol, the governments introduce 10%. We are on E10 in the UK now, but the fuels do not have to reach E10 for a couple more years.

Manufacturers of our type of kit already state that fuels over E10 must not be used so they must appreciate the problems.

And, in fairness I did not imply your saw would fall apart. If you read it again you will see that I agreed it will be a slow process, and possibly acceptable

Just like you, I have worked on thousands of machines, in fact many thousands of machines, that are still going strong on pump fuel given the proper maintenance to overcome the effects.

But I have also seen many machines fail as a consequence of pump fuel. A few have been catastrophic failure but most have been fixable. But fixing comes at a cost.

Any good 2 stroke technician will be well aware of the problems caused by pump petrol. Some carry on fixing them regardless, but my inquisitive mind told me there must be a better way.

So I investigated Aspen and found it to be the answer.

In 3 years of carrying out all servicing and repair work using Aspen my fuel related repair work has dropped significantly.

Customers are very pleased with the fuel and most will never change back.

Yes, I do have a vested interest as I sell a very considerable amount of the fuel, but as a result I have come to know the fuel and its effects more than most.

Argue the toss on price, power, longevity etc as mush as you like. I can see the other side of the argument too.

But the dangers to health from pump fuel are beyond any argument and those who use Aspen are more than happy to pay the price for the reduced risk to health alone.

Sorry if I come across strongly on this subject, but it is frustrating how far behind the North European countries we are in looking after our health.

Whether it be a saw or hedge cutter, if your using a machine as I did a few years back in a railway cutting and wondered why I had a splitting head ache burning nose and felt sick all night. The fumes from pump petrol were deadly, I will never use it again and sticking to Aspen. Ok I dont use that much these days which makes my choice of Aspen all the better, I can leave fuel in the machine for months on end and it still starts easy!

No I'm sorry, if your happy with pump petrol you carry on and save a few quid. Aspen should be cheaper so go and sign their petition to pester the government to drop tax on it.

I am happy with Aspen, so are my machines, they start-run very clean and down time is cut by 90% ish

I dont see any power loss in my saws, & I like others using Aspen am a pro cutter, you also, with respect, seem unaware of the health implications of using pump fuel.:001_smile:

It is good to see factual reports from the likes of Geoff and Old woodchip, guys who have actually used Aspen and found the benefits for themselves.

There is unfortunately still a poor understanding of the harmful effects of pump petrol, both to engines and to health.

The awareness of these problems is becoming greater, but there are still many users and technicians yet to appreciate the issues and the possible solutions.

Many of you know that I am totally committed to the product, but that was not always the case.

I have been selling Aspen for just over 3 yrs, but only a year before that I was totally ignorant of the product and believed there was nothing wrong with the use of petrol.

I even remember having a hedgecutter in for repair as a non runner about 4yrs ago. When a non runner comes in I try to have a quick evaluation of the problem before the customer leaves. I tip the fuel into a jar then have a look at it and a sniff. This time the fuel was clean, but a strange colour and hardly any smell.

I said straight away to the customer "here is your problem sir. I dont know what this stuff is, but it sure ain't petrol. It will never run on this"

It was of course Aspen, but I was totally ignorant of the product, so it was the easiest thing to blame.

The machine was a Stihl HS45 and the problem was actually the ignition coil, the fuel was fine, but I swapped it for petrol and upset the customer who then gave me a lecture on Aspen, and started me on my Aspen crusade.

That was only 4 yrs ago, since then I have learned a tremendous amount about fuel, but still meet other dealers who know as little now as I did then.