New Towing Regs - Jan 2013

Johnnyboxer

Ok. So what about having an agri licence. Passed my tractor licence in college, done a trailer one and that goes upto 35t total. Tractor and trailer. Does this part also count for vehicles?

Not a grey area - they are under seperate rules

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here it is I already new this fact and this is my argument, these laws have come about to stop joe public from pulling heavy trailers behind there car that is under powerd and underweight and having a stupid accident. Due to bad driving or under skilled drivers.

So if you need a licence to pull 3500kg with car on roads why can a provisional holder drive a tractor and trailer on L plates on there own pulling whatever they like.

And yes yes I know that a car can go faster than a tractor and it can go a motorways, but IMO a tractor pulling 15+t of grain needs a lot more concentration and skill than any car pulling a trailer...........

So here it is I already new this fact and this is my argument, these laws have come about to stop joe public from pulling heavy trailers behind there car that is under powerd and underweight and having a stupid accident. Due to bad driving or under skilled drivers.

So if you need a licence to pull 3500kg with car on roads why can a provisional holder drive a tractor and trailer on L plates on there own pulling whatever they like.

And yes yes I know that a car can go faster than a tractor and it can go a motorways, but IMO a tractor pulling 15+t of grain needs a lot more concentration and skill than any car pulling a trailer...........

I am sure if you copy the authorities in on your post they will look into and create a whole new raft of legislation for you. They may even create a days course with a certificate that the 20 somethings seem to love adding to their cv's

Ok. So what about having an agri licence. Passed my tractor licence in college, done a trailer one and that goes upto 35t total. Tractor and trailer. Does this part also count for vehicles?

Seems that grey areas are going to be seen on this, and if you actually get pulled for it are the police actually going to know themselves or are they going to guess and make you get weighed anyway?

Only been pulled once in a tractor and that was when a trailer wheel came off with police following. They just looked at it all and asked what was in the trailer? Wheat was the reply and off they toddled when recover turned up to fix trailer.

Lucky chippers don't weigh much over a ton then. So long as it is being pulled by something that doesn't bring the weight up?

But then the playing ignorance always works well as these things are never reported in news that they are changing the rules and how many people would know about any change? Dvla don't send out letters telling you they are changing laws or adding to then so I'm sorry officer I was never made aware of this!

Shhhhhh

The ag rules weren’t part of the most recent European harmonisation, they will catch up with them but meantime........... Shhhhhhhh

BTW ignorance (feigned or genuine) is no defence in law

Seems that grey areas are going to be seen on this, and if you actually get pulled for it are the police actually going to know themselves or are they going to guess and make you get weighed anyway?

Only been pulled once in a tractor and that was when a trailer wheel came off with police following. They just looked at it all and asked what was in the trailer? Wheat was the reply and off they toddled when recover turned up to fix trailer.

Lucky chippers don't weigh much over a ton then. So long as it is being pulled by something that doesn't bring the weight up?

But then the playing ignorance always works well as these things are never reported in news that they are changing the rules and how many people would know about any change? Dvla don't send out letters telling you they are changing laws or adding to then so I'm sorry officer I was never made aware of this!

Total max train weight for agri machines is 24.5tons

Ie its stamped on the information plates of tractors

Total max train weight for agri machines is 24.5tons

Ie its stamped on the information plates of tractors

I thought it was 24ton (24.39 tonnes).

By the time you consider other legislation about axles and power to weight ratio you'll see it's pretty difficult to pull an agricultural rig with a payload of 12 tonnes even though many large grain trailers are rated at 15tonnes.

Can you get a modern 150hp tractor weighing <6 tonnes?